Hello Guest

BitWiz and AUM

• 51 Replies
BitWiz and AUM
« on: February 26, 2016, 08:01:41 PM »
BitWiz has always been one of my favorite Kymatica apps as well as the first I purchased. You can use the app to generate sounds which can then be effected and filtered. Using MIDI CC generating apps and Link really allows you to get some nice time based effects going.

Using MIDI CC to control BitWiz has always been a great way to add more control to your BitWiz codes. A MIDI CC  can be assigned to variables in your code so you can effectively modulate the sounds it produces. In AUM you can use its MIDI routing to send MIDI CC directly to BitWiz. Combined with effects and other goodies in AUM, you can do a wide range of sound creation with BitWiz. Hopefully it gets updated so it will loaded automatically in AUM rather than having to manually start BitWiz.

Re: BitWiz and AUM
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 11:45:41 PM »
BitWiz has always been one of my favorite Kymatica apps as well as the first I purchased. You can use the app to generate sounds which can then be effected and filtered. Using MIDI CC generating apps and Link really allows you to get some nice time based effects going.

Using MIDI CC to control BitWiz has always been a great way to add more control to your BitWiz codes. A MIDI CC  can be assigned to variables in your code so you can effectively modulate the sounds it produces. In AUM you can use its MIDI routing to send MIDI CC directly to BitWiz. Combined with effects and other goodies in AUM, you can do a wide range of sound creation with BitWiz. Hopefully it gets updated so it will loaded automatically in AUM rather than having to manually start BitWiz.

Hi, I've got BitWiz & AUM. I'm very new to midi routing and don't exactly understand what you're describing here. Could you walk me though a setup and how exactly you reroute in order to gain control over the bitwiz codes?

Please don't assume I know much of anything because I don't. ;)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:57:55 PM by skiphunt »

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 02:17:29 AM »
@skiphunt

The first step is to have code in BitWiz that has variables that can then be assigned to MIDI CC messages in BitWiz. Here's some code with four variables x, y, a, and b.
//pulse base 3&7&5 exp xyab
z=(z>>3)&(t*7)&(t*5)|
(x^(y/9))&(t*49/y)&(t*25/y)|
(a^(b/81))&(t*2401/b)&(t*625/y)
Next in BitWiz go press the # key on the left and then MIDI CONTROL at the bottom. Use the arrow keys to select the MIDI channel and CC for each variable or use MIDI Learn by selecting a variable going to your MIDI app that will be sending the CC messages and send just the MIDI CC for that variable and return to BitWiz and it should now be set. Select the next variable and repeat the above procedure until you've set the MIDI CC for all variables in your code.

I prefer to have my BitWiz variables sync'd to the tempo in AUM so I choose an app where I can sequence the MIDI CC messages it sends out. There are three ways you can sync apps in AUM: Link, IAA Host Sync, or MIDI Sync. If the app sending CC messages can load into an AUM channel and has IAA Host Sync, it will follow the tempo in AUM. If it's an app with Link make sure Link is enabled in AUM and in the app sending the MIDI CC (you don't need to load this app into AUM for this sync to work).

If your MIDI CC app doesn't have IAA Host Sync or Link Sync, then you can use the Link to MIDI app to send MIDI clock to your MIDI CC app. In the Link to MIDI app, push the MIDI button and select the appropriate MIDI destination for your MIDI CC app. This will either be the virtual MIDI port for your MIDI CC app or Link to MIDI MIDI Out. At this point your can press the play (triangle button) in Link to MIDI and verify that your MIDI CC app is receiving clock and that the sequence of MIDI CCs it's sending is in sync and that BitWiz is receiving them. In BitWiz if you're in the keyboard mode, switch to the xy pad by hitting the crosshairs key to the left of the backspace. If your MIDI setup is correct, then the lines and values for the variables should be moving  via the MIDI CCs.

If your MIDI CC app isn't in an AUM channel open it up first, then if possible send it's MIDI to AUM so that way you can use the MIDI ROUTING in AUM to connect AUM destination to BitWiz channel (details on MIDI ROUTING in AUM are below).

At this point open AUM and load it up with BitWiz and the other apps you want to use in your setup. If your MIDI CC app is in an AUM channel, then setup the routing for MIDI to BitWiz in the MIDI ROUTE portion of the menu in AUM. Press the three parallel lines in the upper right hand corner to bring up the menu and MIDI ROUTE will be in the bottom row in the middle of the menu. Select the square intersecting with your MIDI CC app and BitWiz in the MIDI ROUTING.

For IAA Host Sync'd MIDI CC app in AUM, the play button in AUM (white triangle upper left) should start playing your sequence of MIDI CCs, start the code in BitWiz by pressing the green > in the upper left corner. The variables in BitWiz should be changing in response to the MIDI CCs being sent by your MIDI CC app.

If your app has Link and isn't in an AUM channel but has Link enabled, you can start your MIDI CC sequence by pressing play in the MIDI CC app. If your MIDI CC app isn't in AUM but is clocked to Link to MIDI, you can press play in Link to MIDI to start your MIDI CC sequence.

If you have a specific MIDI CC app you're trying to use in this sort of setup and having difficulty, let me know and I can provide more specific instructions.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:18:56 PM by Paulinko »

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 02:31:15 AM »
Oh boy! You went into a lot of detail that I'm certainly grateful for... but completely lost.

How about I just pick a popular app to control it with like maybe Animoog? Or, maybe Orphino? Or, Firo? Gestrument?

One that I can just see specifically how to hook it up to BitWiz so that I can figure it out for others? Maybe Synthcaster or XK1? Sector?

If there's a specific app you recommend and works well for controlling BitWiz, let me know... I might have it, or could buy it. :)

If you're willing that is. thanks!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:47:21 AM by skiphunt »

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 03:06:42 AM »
Oh boy! You went into a lot of detail that I'm certainly grateful for... but completely lost.

How about I just pick a popular app to control it with like maybe Animoog? Or, maybe Orphino? Or, Firo? Gestrument?

One that I can just see specifically how to hook it up to BitWiz so that I can figure it out for others? Maybe Synthcaster or XK1? Sector?

If you're willing that is. thanks!

None of the apps you've listed sequence MIDI CC as far as I know, they send notes. If you have genome MIDI, Lemur, midiSequencer, midiLFOs, Pro MIDI, a DAW with MIDI or perhaps other apps. If you have none of these, I can search for a free app with this capability.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 03:11:34 AM »
I've got DAW Multitrack and Auria (not pro)

Or, what about that midi sequencer that's listed on Kymatica's site called "Nord Beat"?

It looks like Gestrument supports midi cc?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:19:46 AM by skiphunt »

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 03:19:27 AM »
I've got DAW Multitrack and Auria (not pro)

Or, what about that midi sequencer that's listed on Kymatica's site called "Nord Beat"?

None of those three will work. Oscilab and Modstep work great for this if you have them.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:02:50 AM by Paulinko »

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 03:20:17 AM »
The app store says Gestrument supports midi cc

I've also got MiMix which says it supports midi cc

It's ok. Thanks for taking the time... sounds like I'm in well over my head at this point. I'm not even sure how midi cc helps control BitWiz. I just love the idea of BitWiz, but haven't a clue how to actually use/control/tame it from being so abrasive in sound. It would be cool to have more control than x/y pad. And be able to play it while it's run through something like apeFilter, or apeDelay.. etc.

If I were to buy one of those midi cc apps you listed "midiLFO" is the least expensive... I'm not even sure how and for what I'd use it. Seriously, I'm that much of a noob. ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:52:08 AM by skiphunt »

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 04:38:40 AM »
The app store says Gestrument supports midi cc

I've also got MiMix which says it supports midi cc

It's ok. Thanks for taking the time... sounds like I'm in well over my head at this point. I'm not even sure how midi cc helps control BitWiz. I just love the idea of BitWiz, but haven't a clue how to actually use/control/tame it from being so abrasive in sound. It would be cool to have more control than x/y pad. And be able to play it while it's run through something like apeFilter, or apeDelay.. etc.

If I were to buy one of those midi cc apps you listed "midiLFO" is the least expensive... I'm not even sure how and for what I'd use it. Seriously, I'm that much of a noob. ;)

There is a difference between supporting MIDI CC and being able to send MIDI CC. You can control Gestrument and MiMix with MIDI CC but they don't send out MIDI CC.

By analogy, a MIDI keyboard can send MIDI notes to a synth that supports MIDI and the synth will play the notes but the synth may not be able to send MIDI notes.

MIDI CC sends control messages rather than notes. In a synth that responds to MIDI CC you can control how the controls work by sending them MIDI CC, very much like you control the notes they play by sending them MIDI notes.

In BitWiz, you control the values of variables in your code by sending them MIDI CC, this means the sound created by your BitWiz code will then change in time and in response to the MIDI sequence you send it.

apeFilter and apeDelay can also be controlled with MIDI CC plus many other effect apps and synths.

If you just want to take the harshness away from BitWiz, try using the LP filter in AUM under Filter & EQ in the Inserts and Effects menu on the same channel where BitWiz is in the top of the channel. The harsh you're talking about is probably the higher frequencies coming out of BitWiz.

I'll find a free MIDI CC sending app for you and then you can give it a go before deciding if it's something you'd want to spend money on.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:47:05 AM by Paulinko »

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 04:51:14 AM »
Thank you! It all looks like Chinese to me and I just wanted to try and understand how to do it. Mostly so that if I want to connect/control other apps in different configurations, I'd have a better understanding of it.

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 03:23:45 PM »
@skiphunt if you have MIDI hardware you can connect to your iOS device that has knobs, xy pad, or sliders, you could try using MIDI learn in BitWiz to enter in MIDI CC for variable in your code and control their values with the hardware knobs or sliders.

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 06:18:15 PM »
@skiphunt if you have MIDI hardware you can connect to your iOS device that has knobs, xy pad, or sliders, you could try using MIDI learn in BitWiz to enter in MIDI CC for variable in your code and control their values with the hardware knobs or sliders.

@Paulinko - Could MIDI Designer Limited be used to do what you're describing in this thread, i.e. with regard to controlling BitWiz from within AUM? It's only $1 and is universal too.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-designer-limited/id685657174?mt=8

Also.. this one called Jasuto receives midi cc, but I can't tell if it sends. It's also universal and only $1.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jasuto/id347758682?mt=8

Someone said they liked the Beat Step Controller. The one that's not "Pro" is roughly $100. Which controller would you recommend for this stuff if you want to get something cheap to start out with and just see if it's something you want to continue with?

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 07:57:05 PM »
@skiphunt I would go with the midi designer limited app. You can create your own controls and send their output (including MIDI CC to your apps or hardware).

Jasuto can do a lot of things but its not the most intuitive app in the world. You can look at their YouTube videos to see if it's for you or not.

Choosing a MIDI hardware controller is a very personal choice and I'd recommend you get your feet wet first with the inexpensive apps that emulate them first to learn more about what you like and don't like in a controller before going down the MIDI hardware purchasing road.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 10:12:13 PM »
@skiphunt I would go with the midi designer limited app. You can create your own controls and send their output (including MIDI CC to your apps or hardware).

Jasuto can do a lot of things but its not the most intuitive app in the world. You can look at their YouTube videos to see if it's for you or not.

Looks like Jasuto hasn't been updated since 2014, but it says it supports AudioBus. Midi Designer was updated in December 2015 but doesn't mention anything about AudioBus. Does AudioBus support matter?

Choosing a MIDI hardware controller is a very personal choice and I'd recommend you get your feet wet first with the inexpensive apps that emulate them first to learn more about what you like and don't like in a controller before going down the MIDI hardware purchasing road.

@Paulinko I included Jasuto because it looked like it did more than the midi cc stuff. So in case this midi stuff isn't for me, I'd be able to use it's other features. Make sense? Does it actually do both send/receive midi cc?

Regarding the midi controller, I've been playing mostly with mangling sound with apps like Fieldscraper, iDensity, Sparkle, etc. and someone on the AB site recommended getting a midi controller with knobs to turn for use with fieldscraper in particular. Just didn't want to spend that much on a controller for something that's more for fun. ;)

It's not vital that I know how to control BitWiz within AUM via midi and the builtin keep board, etc. But, I thought that maybe if I could figure out how to do just that, as you've described, I could figure it out on my own for other midi things.

Regardless of which of those apps I get, would you mind walking me through specifically how to configure it? If you think there's really not that much more of use apart from the midi stuff in Jasuto, I could just get midi designer. I'll look at the Jasuto videos and see if the other stuff it does would be of use. I looked at one briefly and I thought the interface looked cool, but that obviously doesn't mean it's intuitive. ;)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 11:09:28 PM by skiphunt »

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 11:31:55 PM »
@skiphunt Jasuto never really clicked with me but it does send and receive midi, it's a modular app so you have a number of different pieces that you put into patches and connect together to create sounds with a variety of effects and there are also MIDI pieces you can add.

For Midi designer limited, I'd visit the developer's website and download templates that work with it. I have the Pro version but not the limited version. You can also add knobs, xy pads etc. that can send out MIDI to apps, sort of like creating your own MIDI hardware in software.

If you really want to get into MIDI hardware for less money, I'd look into used equipment and watch videos and read reviews for models you're interested in. This can give you a sense of the range of capability and utility.

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 11:49:23 PM »
@skiphunt Jasuto never really clicked with me but it does send and receive midi, it's a modular app so you have a number of different pieces that you put into patches and connect together to create sounds with a variety of effects and there are also MIDI pieces you can add.

For Midi designer limited, I'd visit the developer's website and download templates that work with it. I have the Pro version but not the limited version. You can also add knobs, xy pads etc. that can send out MIDI to apps, sort of like creating your own MIDI hardware in software.

If you really want to get into MIDI hardware for less money, I'd look into used equipment and watch videos and read reviews for models you're interested in. This can give you a sense of the range of capability and utility.

Ok. Will watch for something used. That seems like the kind of thing where there's a lot of turnover, ie. people (like myself) ;) who think they want to play with midi, and find out they aren't as interested as they thought, and end up unloading the gear cheap. :)

I'll decide if I'm going to get Jasuto or Midi Designer... then see how much I can figure out on my own. Then, if/when I get stuck... I'll see if you can get me past the hump.

I think midiLFO is only a couple bucks. You mentioned that one too. Is it easier to configure, and have other good use beyond the midi controlling?

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 12:08:27 AM »
@skiphunt midiLFOs is relatively easy to setup and is only used to send MIDI CC messages. It is used to sequence controls in apps using various wave forms you can adjust. It's a way to achieve rhythmic control of your controls.

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 01:18:43 AM »
@skiphunt midiLFOs is relatively easy to setup and is only used to send MIDI CC messages. It is used to sequence controls in apps using various wave forms you can adjust. It's a way to achieve rhythmic control of your controls.

Ok. Thx. I just watched a couple basic YouTube videos about the basics of MIDI. Looks like Jascuto is more of a sequencer and probably not something I'd get much use out of. MIDI Designer Limited looks more straight forward. And, it's cheap. ;)

Is it a problem that MIDI Designer Limited doesn't mention AudioBus support? I have AudioBus and the extended version. Also have MiMix that I was using before AUM came out. Actually, I'm not seeing many (if any) scenarios where I even need AudioBus anymore... and kicking myself for just upgrading about a month ago and buying MiMix for the iPad & iPhone. With AUM, I don't really need any of that any more that I can tell.

UPDATE: I went ahead and got MIDI Designer Limited. Figure it's only a $1 and if I get into MIDI more, I'll buy something more complex. There's a demo/walkthru of MIDI Designer PRO on youtube. I'll see if I can figure it out from there.

Or, if you know what to tell me how to set it up in MIDI Designer Limited, I'm all ears/eyes. Weird... that sounds like a strange nightmarish creature doesn't it? ie. one that's all ears and eyes. ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 02:13:37 AM by skiphunt »

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 04:36:32 AM »
@Paulinko well, I went through the MIDI Designer Limited tutorial. Set up some controls, the launched AUM, launched BitWiz, put in the user code you suggested into BitWiz, went to MIDI control & set x y a b each on channel 1 but cc 1-4, then went to add MIDI Designer, but it doesn't show up to be loaded into AUM. It does show up in the AUM routing though.

Got stuck on trying to config the 4 knobs I set up in MSL to control x y a b in BitWiz.

I can see AUM listed in MDL, and I can see MDL listed in the midi routing in AUM. I've connected AUM & BitWiz & MDL within the midi routing, I've got BitEiz playing, but I can't get my MDL knobs to change the x y a b values in BitWiz. Been trying on my on for over a couple hours & I'm stuck.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 07:46:03 AM by skiphunt »

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 04:28:40 PM »
@Paulinko I got the knobs I created in MIDI Designer Limited to control parameters in Fieldscraper, and apeFilter no problem. But for some reason, even though I can see AUM in MIDI Designer and have connected all the routes in AUM with BitWiz... I can't get it to control it for some reason. I tried other apps in case I was doing something wrong. It works in several other ones fine... and it's cool to be able to do so. Just doesn't appear to work with AUM + BitWiz, even though MIDI Designer shows up in AUM as a MIDI source & destination.

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2016, 01:46:00 AM »
@Paulinko I got the knobs I created in MIDI Designer Limited to control parameters in Fieldscraper, and apeFilter no problem. But for some reason, even though I can see AUM in MIDI Designer and have connected all the routes in AUM with BitWiz... I can't get it to control it for some reason. I tried other apps in case I was doing something wrong. It works in several other ones fine... and it's cool to be able to do so. Just doesn't appear to work with AUM + BitWiz, even though MIDI Designer shows up in AUM as a MIDI source & destination.

The problem seems to lie with BitWiz, you can send MIDI from MIDI Designer to AUM but because BitWiz does not have a MIDI instrument implementation, it can not connect to BitWiz despite giving the illusion you can in the MIDI Routing in AUM. In contrast for the AUFX apps you can use MIDI learn from the AUFX apps to receive MIDI from AUM once you selected it in the routing table and AUM is selected in MIDI Designer.

Perhaps when the BitWiz developer decides to update his Cinderella app, he can add IAA instrument capability and allow it to start and stop with transport controls too?

The current way around this would be to use an app like Midiflow as a destination for MIDI from MIDI Designer and then in MIdiflow send out MIDI via one of its virtual ports. Unfortunately MIDI Designer doesn't send out on its own port.  The MIDI Designer developer adding a virtual port out to his app would be another possible solution.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 01:47:49 AM by Paulinko »

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »

The problem seems to lie with BitWiz, you can send MIDI from MIDI Designer to AUM but because BitWiz does not have a MIDI instrument implementation, it can not connect to BitWiz despite giving the illusion you can in the MIDI Routing in AUM. In contrast for the AUFX apps you can use MIDI learn from the AUFX apps to receive MIDI from AUM once you selected it in the routing table and AUM is selected in MIDI Designer.

Perhaps when the BitWiz developer decides to update his Cinderella app, he can add IAA instrument capability and allow it to start and stop with transport controls too?

The current way around this would be to use an app like Midiflow as a destination for MIDI from MIDI Designer and then in MIdiflow send out MIDI via one of its virtual ports. Unfortunately MIDI Designer doesn't send out on its own port.  The MIDI Designer developer adding a virtual port out to his app would be another possible solution.

Yeah, BitWiz would really need an update! Also it has no way to select what MIDI source it should listen to. And indeed it should use the IAA-MIDI input, and respond to transport state too. But I *think* you can route it via the Network Session currently..

Note: BitWiz was the very first app I released on my own, and hasn't been updated in a very long time :)

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 09:02:34 PM »

Yeah, BitWiz would really need an update! Also it has no way to select what MIDI source it should listen to. And indeed it should use the IAA-MIDI input, and respond to transport state too. But I *think* you can route it via the Network Session currently..

Note: BitWiz was the very first app I released on my own, and hasn't been updated in a very long time :)

After MUCH trial & error, it looks like the ONLY control of BitWiz playing within AUM via MIDI Designer Limited, is  by MIDI Routing AUM Destination (Virtual) to MIDI Control (Built-in)

Then, going to MIDI CTRL, and selecting the only channel available CHAN 1. From there I can link control for Volume, Mute, Solo, and Rec enable... to a respective knob for volume, and respective buttons I set up in MIDI Designer Limited.

I couldn't get MIDI Designer Limited to control anything at all via Network Session. I tried all the configurations I could think of. It's possible I got something wrong, but I think I exhausted most, if not all of the possible combinations.

So, although I was hoping I could externally control XYAB coordinates within the XY pad in BitWiz via software MIDI controller while BitWiz is launched within AUM, it looks like all I can do is control Vol/Mute/Solo/Rec-enabling.

Not a big deal at all though. At the end of the day, at least I was forced to get a grip on how to set up a software midi controller. Ultimately... that was really my main goal to begin with. :)

Thanks to both of you for taking the time.

Cheers,

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 09:20:36 PM »
After MUCH trial & error, it looks like the ONLY control of BitWiz playing within AUM via MIDI Designer Limited, is  by MIDI Routing AUM Destination (Virtual) to MIDI Control (Built-in)

Then, going to MIDI CTRL, and selecting the only channel available CHAN 1. From there I can link control for Volume, Mute, Solo, and Rec enable... to a respective knob for volume, and respective buttons I set up in MIDI Designer Limited.

That's not controlling BitWiz in itself, it's the MIDI control of AUM and has nothing to do with BitWiz. That routing makes sense for controlling any channel params in AUM from MIDI Designer, if you're sending from MIDI Designer to the AUM Destination (Virtual), yes.

I couldn't get MIDI Designer Limited to control anything at all via Network Session. I tried all the configurations I could think of. It's possible I got something wrong, but I think I exhausted most, if not all of the possible combinations.

I have MIDI Designer, but it crashes each time I try to start it..

I just tried this: Started BitWiz. Hooked my hardware MIDI controller into my macbook. Opened "Audio/MIDI setup" there and connected to my iPad, and choose TheNameOfMyController -> Network Macbook as "Live routings".

Then in BitWiz, chose MIDI Control for variable x, set it to MIDI CC, tapped Learn and tweaked a knob on my controller. Voila, it learned and now the knob controls the x variable of the XY-pad in BitWiz. So, it does work, and BitWiz does listen on the Network MIDI. (But it's really bad that I haven't added a way to select what BitWiz should listen to, now it just listens to everything!)

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 09:26:39 PM »

That's not controlling BitWiz in itself, it's the MIDI control of AUM and has nothing to do with BitWiz. That routing makes sense for controlling any channel params in AUM from MIDI Designer, if you're sending from MIDI Designer to the AUM Destination (Virtual), yes.

I have MIDI Designer, but it crashes each time I try to start it..

I just tried this: Started BitWiz. Hooked my hardware MIDI controller into my macbook. Opened "Audio/MIDI setup" there and connected to my iPad, and choose TheNameOfMyController -> Network Macbook as "Live routings".

Then in BitWiz, chose MIDI Control for variable x, set it to MIDI CC, tapped Learn and tweaked a knob on my controller. Voila, it learned and now the knob controls the x variable of the XY-pad in BitWiz. So, it does work, and BitWiz does listen on the Network MIDI. (But it's really bad that I haven't added a way to select what BitWiz should listen to, now it just listens to everything!)

I'm using MIDI Designer Limited. I'm assuming that's a scaled down version of MIDI Designer Pro. It mostly doesn't crash for me.

So, are you saying that I *should* be able to control BitWiz via MIDI Designer Limited? If so, any clue what I might be doing wrong?

It's really not that important. I've just become obsessed with trying to solve this little problem. I really just wanted a way to control OSC parameters in Fieldscraper, Sparkle, etc. And I can do that. Thought would be fun to play with BitWiz more since I bought it not long ago... only because you made it, and the rest of your apps have been good.  ;) Also, I liked the random quality of the sounds coming out of it and the ability to alter the code.

Besides, I can control it well enough from the xy pad anyway.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 07:50:54 AM by skiphunt »

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 11:06:22 AM »
I'm using MIDI Designer Limited. I'm assuming that's a scaled down version of MIDI Designer Pro. It mostly doesn't crash for me.

So, are you saying that I *should* be able to control BitWiz via MIDI Designer Limited? If so, any clue what I might be doing wrong?

It's really not that important. I've just become obsessed with trying to solve this little problem. I really just wanted a way to control OSC parameters in Fieldscraper, Sparkle, etc. And I can do that. Thought would be fun to play with BitWiz more since I bought it not long ago... only because you made it, and the rest of your apps have been good.  ;) Also, I liked the random quality of the sounds coming out of it and the ability to alter the code.

Yes, I just tried MIDI Designer (Pro), created two faders set to channel 1, cc 1 and 2. Connected it to my network midi session. Then in BitWiz, set x & y to channel 1, cc 1 and 2. Worked fine!

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 03:17:42 PM »

Yes, I just tried MIDI Designer (Pro), created two faders set to channel 1, cc 1 and 2. Connected it to my network midi session. Then in BitWiz, set x & y to channel 1, cc 1 and 2. Worked fine!

What?!!! Did you use AUM? Or, connecting MDP with BitWiz only? From what I can tell, MDL is the same app but limited to 12 controls per layout. Are you using a newer version of BitWiz? ;)

I eventually gave up. I made 2 new layouts with controls for Fieldscraper and iDensity. Then I made a new 12 control layout using the iPhone version of MDL to control the iPhone Fieldscraper. All work fine and now issues linking anything up at all. Using BitWiz, no luck at all.

Which code did you use within BitWiz?

So, either I'm not setting something up right in MDL, or there's something different between MDL and MDP. Or, you're using a version of BitWiz that isn't the same as the one I bought. ;)

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 04:11:35 PM »

What?!!! Did you use AUM? Or, connecting MDP with BitWiz only? From what I can tell, MDL is the same app but limited to 12 controls per layout. Are you using a newer version of BitWiz? ;)

I eventually gave up. I made 2 new layouts with controls for Fieldscraper and iDensity. Then I made a new 12 control layout using the iPhone version of MDL to control the iPhone Fieldscraper. All work fine and now issues linking anything up at all. Using BitWiz, no luck at all.

So, either I'm not setting something up right in MDL, or there's something different between MDL and MDP. Or, you're using a version of BitWiz that isn't the same as the one I bought. ;)

No, I didn't use AUM here. AUM can't route anything to BitWiz since BitWiz doesn't receive on its IAA-MIDI input and has no way of configuring which MIDI port it should receive from.

All I did was set MidiDesigner to send on my "macbook network" session, and make sure the MIDI channels and CCs matched.

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 05:04:07 PM »

No, I didn't use AUM here. AUM can't route anything to BitWiz since BitWiz doesn't receive on its IAA-MIDI input and has no way of configuring which MIDI port it should receive from.

All I did was set MidiDesigner to send on my "macbook network" session, and make sure the MIDI channels and CCs matched.

Oh! I thought you were saying you were using the "Network 1" session within the AUM routing. To be honest... I didn't even know I could set up a midi network session on my wifi network. So, I just googled it, found the Audio Midi Setup app in Utilities. Set up a network session, selected my iPad, and connected... then went to BitWiz, set up xy, then added 2 knobs for chan 1 cc1-2, and it worked. Now controlling BitWiz xy parameters via MDL. Thanks!

Also ended up setting up ab in addition to xy to use @Paulinko code with a & b knobs too. Then used AUM's midi control to set up MDL controls for volume, rec/enb & rec. So now using Network midi for xyab & AUM midi for vol/recenab/rec. Pretty much gives me all the control I need while BitWiz is loaded into AUM. :)

I think I now know more about midi control than I thought I'd have to. lol ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:55:47 PM by skiphunt »

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 09:51:39 PM »
Actually I thought "Network session 1" was the same thing, but I'm not really sure. I never use the network MIDI for other than testing!

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2016, 11:05:01 PM »
Actually I thought "Network session 1" was the same thing, but I'm not really sure. I never use the network MIDI for other than testing!

I'd assumed it was too. I saw "Network Session 1" show up in AUM midi routing, but I didn't have anything going on my home network since I didn't even know about it until you said you had your's set up as your macbook network.

With the my home network set up with the Audio Midi Setup app in the Utilities folder... the midi cc stuff works like I thought it would without the home network, ie. with just my iPad.

So, what is the "Network Session 1" that shows up in AUM even even I'm not running a home midi network session?

By the way, if this is keeping you from continuing your updates to the AUFX, AUM, Sector, etc. then you can feel free to wrap up this conversation if you like. ;)

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2016, 04:26:05 AM »

I'd assumed it was too. I saw "Network Session 1" show up in AUM midi routing, but I didn't have anything going on my home network since I didn't even know about it until you said you had your's set up as your macbook network.

With the my home network set up with the Audio Midi Setup app in the Utilities folder... the midi cc stuff works like I thought it would without the home network, ie. with just my iPad.

So, what is the "Network Session 1" that shows up in AUM even even I'm not running a home midi network session?

By the way, if this is keeping you from continuing your updates to the AUFX, AUM, Sector, etc. then you can feel free to wrap up this conversation if you like. ;)

I'd be very okay with buying an AU version of BitWiz for use in AUM if Jonatan isn't up for updating regular BitWiz.

@skiphunt it's because of these sorts of MIDI gaps like you're experiencing  here with trying to get Midi Designer, AUM, and BitWiz working together that I use Midiflow on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 04:29:27 AM by Paulinko »

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2016, 03:52:12 PM »

@skiphunt it's because of these sorts of MIDI gaps like you're experiencing  here with trying to get Midi Designer, AUM, and BitWiz working together that I use Midiflow on a regular basis.

@Paulinko Yeah, I've got Midiflow on my list, but I'm such a novice that I don't think I'm anywhere near outgrowing the little Midi Designer Limited yet.

And, even though I've finally figured out (with J's help) how to control BitWiz via work-around local midi Network Session + builtin midi control in AUM... I'm not really sure that I'm much better off. I mean, it's easier to control for sure, but not really that much better than just using the XY pad that he included in the app to begin with.

That being said, there ARE apps that I'm really liking being able to make a custom midi control panel for, like Fieldscraper and iDensity. So, I'm glad I at least got that sorted out and am more familiar with what's possible now. :)

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2016, 03:30:23 AM »
@skiphunt  Creating a template in MIDI designer that controls BitWiz the same way its xy pad does  isn't so useful unless you use those same CCs to control other parts of your sound chain at the same time.

For me, the most useful way of using MIDI CC to control BitWiz is to sequence them to a bpm. I can also use sync'd effects to modify the BitWiz output. With CC I can use more than just four variables in my code and have my hands free to focus on other aspects of sound creation.

Midiflow allows me to connect apps, and filter/duplicate/transform MIDI to communicate between apps and/or hardware I otherwise wouldn't be able to.

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2016, 07:22:08 AM »
@skiphunt  Creating a template in MIDI designer that controls BitWiz the same way its xy pad does  isn't so useful unless you use those same CCs to control other parts of your sound chain at the same time.

For me, the most useful way of using MIDI CC to control BitWiz is to sequence them to a bpm. I can also use sync'd effects to modify the BitWiz output. With CC I can use more than just four variables in my code and have my hands free to focus on other aspects of sound creation.

Midiflow allows me to connect apps, and filter/duplicate/transform MIDI to communicate between apps and/or hardware I otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Oooooh! I hadn't even thought about being able to control other parts of the sound chain. I didn't know you could do that. For some reason I thought I could only control parameters of one source at a time. The other stuff you're talking about is a bit too far out of my pay grade at the moment, and I haven't a clue what you're talking about. ;) ie. sequenced to bpm & sync'd effects

Still, considering that less than a week ago I didn't even know what midi was or what it stood for.... I think I'm coming along, but haven't outgrown MDL just yet. ;)

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2016, 06:22:51 PM »
@skiphunt sequenced to bpm isn't so hard to understand if it's explained well. Suppose you have a tempo which is a certain number of beats per minute and you have some events one after the other each of a certain duration (your sequence). If you speed up the tempo the duration of the events relative to each other in the sequence will remain the same but their overall speed will change. When events are in sync it means that their timing relative to each other are the same.

So say you have a bass drum that sounds at the beginning of each bar and a guitar in the middle of the bar. If the bass drum and guitar are in sync the bass drum will continue to be at the beginning of the bar and the guitar in the middle. If they're out of sync the relative positions of the bass drum and guitar will change relative to each other so at some point they may start playing at the same time.

Rather than striking a drum or strumming a guitar you could also turn a knob on an effect pedal for an electric guitar and do so in way that it is in sync with the playing of the guitar.

With MIDI you can send notes and/or send control messages (CC) rather than needing to physically play the instruments or turn a knob. These MIDI notes and CC messages can be sent to apps in a sequence and the tempo or bpm of the sequence can be changed yet still keep them in sync.

There are many ways to generate MIDI sequences, grid type sequencer apps (e.g. midiSequencer or a DAW like Cubasis), Arpegiators where you press a key and a series of notes are played (e.g. Cream), a MIDI control app like TB MIDI or Lemur, modular apps like zMors Modular or Jasuto, apps that convert sound into MIDI (e.g. Jam Synth), music language apps (e.g. MobMuPlat uses Pd), generative apps (e.g. Noatikl), or wave form apps (e.g. Oscilab or midiLFOs).

Using MIDI control can be done in a way where you are similar to a conductor so rather than waving a baton to direct players in an orchestra, you setup MIDI connections and sequences to tell your apps and hardware what to do.

In general, a benefit to MIDI is that it allows you to control more things simultaneously than your body or mind is capable of doing. In addition to playing live, you can also compose pieces. MIDI is not limited to just notes, it can also turn knobs, faders, mute, change volume, or any number of things.

In an app like AUM you could use it like Audiobus as a communication hub or you could also use it as an instrument itself via MIDI since just about every control in AUM can be controlled via MIDI. For instance you could send a sequence of notes to mute or solo the channels in AUM.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:26:07 PM by Paulinko »

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 04:43:47 PM »
@Paulinko

Thanks for breaking that down! I'm not a "musician" per se. I'm just playing with sound and layering weird soundscapes that I hope to use for some art/video stuff. So, I'm not sure being able to keep drums & guitar in'sync is something that I'd need to be able to do.

However, I DID try out making a control panel in MIDI Designer Limted, that had several controls assigned to 3 other app instruments and a 4th set of controls for record enable and output levels in AUM. It was really cool to be able to control several parameters in several apps on one screen all at the same time. So glad you mentioned that!

What gets me still though... is that at least 4 different app/instruments I have, were very easy to assign control to and get working. Fairly intuitive too. But, the ONLY way I can control BitWiz via midi cc, is via setting up a wifi Network midi session and controlling it through there. Why doesn't is work without the local wifi Network midi session going?

In addition to that... when I don't even have a  "Network Session 1" enabled on my local network, what is the "Network Session" that frequently shows up as a routing option?

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 07:47:02 PM »
@Paulinko

Thanks for breaking that down! I'm not a "musician" per se. I'm just playing with sound and layering weird soundscapes that I hope to use for some art/video stuff. So, I'm not sure being able to keep drums & guitar in'sync is something that I'd need to be able to do.

However, I DID try out making a control panel in MIDI Designer Limted, that had several controls assigned to 3 other app instruments and a 4th set of controls for record enable and output levels in AUM. It was really cool to be able to control several parameters in several apps on one screen all at the same time. So glad you mentioned that!

What gets me still though... is that at least 4 different app/instruments I have, were very easy to assign control to and get working. Fairly intuitive too. But, the ONLY way I can control BitWiz via midi cc, is via setting up a wifi Network midi session and controlling it through there. Why doesn't is work without the local wifi Network midi session going?

In addition to that... when I don't even have a  "Network Session 1" enabled on my local network, what is the "Network Session" that frequently shows up as a routing option?

BitWiz listens for MIDI sent out via core MIDI, Network MIDI, and virtual MIDI ports sent out by apps. BitWiz has no virtual MIDI port of its own. Many apps with MIDI have Network Session as a default MIDI selection option regardless of whether it's working or not which it won't be unless you setup a network session. If you have an app that sends out its own MIDI CC via a virtual port or connect MIDI hardware to your device it will work too.

Even if you're just wanting to manipulate sound for weird soundscapes, it's useful to use sequenced MIDI CC. Using the concept of random controls within a limited range, for example, you can shape your sounds. Totally random frequencies produces white noise and semi-random frequencies can, for example, produce wind type sounds. While you might not need your sounds to conform to a scale or beat pattern, you'll still be using the concept of changing the volume and frequencies of your sounds over time. Fooling around with the controls on various apps can be a way to figure out how to produce sounds that interest you. You can then combine these sounds together using audio tracks or reproduce them using MIDI control which are also two major approaches musicians use too.

Just because a tool is created for a specific purpose and result, it doesn't mean you're obligated to use it that way or can't create other things with it.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 07:55:02 PM by Paulinko »

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2016, 10:32:41 PM »
@Paulinko

BitWiz listens for MIDI sent out via core MIDI, Network MIDI, and virtual MIDI ports sent out by apps. BitWiz has no virtual MIDI port of its own. Many apps with MIDI have Network Session as a default MIDI selection option regardless of whether it's working or not which it won't be unless you setup a network session. If you have an app that sends out its own MIDI CC via a virtual port or connect MIDI hardware to your device it will work too.

Even if you're just wanting to manipulate sound for weird soundscapes, it's useful to use sequenced MIDI CC. Using the concept of random controls within a limited range, for example, you can shape your sounds. Totally random frequencies produces white noise and semi-random frequencies can, for example, produce wind type sounds. While you might not need your sounds to conform to a scale or beat pattern, you'll still be using the concept of changing the volume and frequencies of your sounds over time. Fooling around with the controls on various apps can be a way to figure out how to produce sounds that interest you. You can then combine these sounds together using audio tracks or reproduce them using MIDI control which are also two major approaches musicians use too.

Just because a tool is created for a specific purpose and result, it doesn't mean you're obligated to use it that way or can't create other things with it.

Well, as I mentioned before... it was only about a week ago that I didn't know anything at all about MIDI. So, I'm thinking I'm not really ready to move beyond MIDI Designer Limited just yet. It looks like it's capable of significantly more than what I've already done. So, maybe I should spend more time getting to know what I already have.

That being said... I noticed a midi app called Lemur that's kinda pricey for my limited use, but it does a cool thing they call "RoboKnobs" that records your knob movements. That sounds pretty cool to be able to do.

If I decide to move beyond what MIDI Designer Limited is capable of... if you were going to just have 1 or 2 "go-to" MIDI controller apps, which would they be, and which would you recommend for a complete novice like me?

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2016, 05:16:38 PM »
@skiphunt I think it's a good idea to spend more time with what you already have. As you learn more about what you want to do using what you already have you'll also get a better idea of what additional apps you'd want to use.

If MIDI sequencing is of interest to you, you might want to try the free midiSequencer Lite app.

Lemur does a lot and people make all kinds of scripts for it. If you feel you're interested in something like Lemur, you could go to their community pages and see what sorts of scripts people have made to see if they'd be of use to you. The RoboKnob is just one script and there are hundreds but many may not be of any use to you and learning how to script for Lemur would definitely require a significant investment of time.

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2016, 06:29:26 PM »
@skiphunt I think it's a good idea to spend more time with what you already have. As you learn more about what you want to do using what you already have you'll also get a better idea of what additional apps you'd want to use.

If MIDI sequencing is of interest to you, you might want to try the free midiSequencer Lite app.

Lemur does a lot and people make all kinds of scripts for it. If you feel you're interested in something like Lemur, you could go to their community pages and see what sorts of scripts people have made to see if they'd be of use to you. The RoboKnob is just one script and there are hundreds but many may not be of any use to you and learning how to script for Lemur would definitely require a significant investment of time.

@Paulinko Lemur doesn't sound like the sort of thing I'd want to invest a bunch of time in. Let me ask you this... if you could have only one "go-to-swiss-army-knife" midi control app, which one would it be? Also, if you could have only one midi control program that wasn't a "swiss-army-knife", but was just the most fun to play with, which would that one be?

I'm not asking because I need anything else at the moment, but I was going to put a couple on my sale watch list.  :)

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2016, 02:58:29 AM »

@Paulinko Lemur doesn't sound like the sort of thing I'd want to invest a bunch of time in. Let me ask you this... if you could have only one "go-to-swiss-army-knife" midi control app, which one would it be? Also, if you could have only one midi control program that wasn't a "swiss-army-knife", but was just the most fun to play with, which would that one be?

I'm not asking because I need anything else at the moment, but I was going to put a couple on my sale watch list.  :)

I think Lemur is the closet thing to a MIDI Swiss Army knife that I know of so you're probably better off addressing your question to someone else.

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2016, 03:26:00 AM »

I think Lemur is the closet thing to a MIDI Swiss Army knife that I know of so you're probably better off addressing your question to someone else.

I don't think you understand.... I'm asking YOU because it appears that you're the MIDI expert guru person, and I want to know what YOUR choices would be for 1 - go-to midi app and 1 - most fun midi control app. Not what you think I would understand now, but what YOU would choose for yourself.

In other words... you've referenced approximately 12 different midi control apps in this thread (I lost count) ;) And surely there's at least 1 that stands out as the most full-featured for most applications, and 1 that stands out as just the most fun to play with. That's all I'm asking.

And, for what it's worth... I was basically done with this after I figured out how to control BitWiz while it's loaded in AUM. The rest is just me responding to other interesting process scenarios you've been replying with. If you're tired of this conversation, that's fine. But before we let this thread die an overdue death ;) if you don't mind.. I'd like to know your 2 top pics for all-around control and for pure fun. :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 03:33:46 AM by skiphunt »

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2016, 04:53:20 AM »
@skiphunt I tend to buy a lot of MIDI apps (way more than 12) because they interest me so it's difficult to come up with specific recommendations for someone without knowing what they want to do. A lot of the ones I use the most are really only useful for music.

If you want a sequencer that can send notes and MIDI CC, look at midiSequencer or Genome Midi Sequencer.

For an app that uses the touch screen like an instrument for MIDI, there's TC Data. You can check out TC-Performer which is a synth but has a similar GUI to TC-Data.

An app that will allow you to connect MIDI apps, duplicate, split, transform, filter MIDI; there's Midiflow.

For an app similar to MIDI Designer that I've found easier to work with, there's TB MIDI Stuff.

MIDI apps that tend to do everything like Lemur are more expensive and complicated especially if you're doing your own setups.

Other MIDI apps are more specialized, limited in what they do (e.g. midiLFOs) or tend to be focused on music use only (Soundprism).

If you're looking for a relatively easy way to produce a MIDI stream, use an app like Jam Synth as an effect and it will turn the audio it receives into MIDI.

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2016, 02:57:18 PM »
I would also like to recommend Fugue Machine, it's really fun to play with, but very musical, and only does MIDI notes (no CC) as far as I can tell.

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2016, 06:58:38 PM »
I would also like to recommend Fugue Machine, it's really fun to play with, but very musical, and only does MIDI notes (no CC) as far as I can tell.

Fugue Machine sends the velocity of the notes too. The developer is very active and has plans to add additional functionality to the app.

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2016, 08:46:06 PM »

Fugue Machine sends the velocity of the notes too. The developer is very active and has plans to add additional functionality to the app.

Yep, and the current Fugue Machine beta allows separate MIDI channels per play head, which is a great combination with the current AUM betas IAA/AU midi channel selection :)

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2016, 09:22:30 PM »
@Paulinko... thanks! That breakdown helps a lot. Adding a couple of them to my wish list. How do you feel about TouchOSC?

ps. Loving TC- Performer. Bought all the packs & transposition :)

@Jonatan... Groovy, I've read good things about Fugue Machine. Haven't pulled the trigger since it's only iPad. Do you know if the new beta might be universal?

ps. looks like the new fugue has already dropped & not universal :( but, read up on it due to your recommendation... and might have to get it even though it's only iPad anyway. thx
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 03:36:55 PM by skiphunt »

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2016, 11:17:40 PM »
@Paulinko... thanks! That breakdown helps a lot. Adding a couple of them to my wish list. How do you feel about TouchOSC?

@Jonatan... Groovy, I've read good things about Fugue Machine. Haven't pulled the trigger since it's only iPad. Do you know if the new beta might be universal?

ps. looks like the new fugue has already dropped & not universal :( but, read up on it due to your recommendation... and might have to get it even though it's only iPad anyway. thx
I think TB MIDI stuff offers the same functionality as TouchOSC but it's much easier to use since you can create the templates on your device instead of on a computer.

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2016, 09:11:27 PM »

I think TB MIDI stuff offers the same functionality as TouchOSC but it's much easier to use since you can create the templates on your device instead of on a computer.

Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated. :)

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2016, 05:49:04 PM »
@Paulinko Hey, just wanted to let you know... that since I last visited this thread, I've messed around with a lot more midi stuff, understand little bit more now, and have had ongoing battles with midi connectivity.

But, over the last day or so I've come full circle around to midiflow. I came back to read much of the stuff you were explaining to me and how you'd also suggested midiflow. So, I finally bought it last night... spent only about 20mins figuring it out... and it alone appears to have solved ALL of my midi connection issues, problems and needs.

Just wanted to drop a note and thank you again for taking the time. I should have just bought midiflow as you suggested originally and it would have saved me a lot of time and hassle. :)

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2016, 12:10:14 PM »
@skiphunt glad Midiflow is working out for you. MIDI can be confusing especially on iOS where there are so many variations in how it's implemented by developers.