Hello Guest

Midi Program Change to change Sessions

• 18 Replies
Midi Program Change to change Sessions
« on: March 28, 2016, 11:16:19 PM »
Is it possible to change Sessions by Midi Program Change?

johnp

• View Profile
Re: Midi Program Change to change Sessions
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 08:58:21 AM »

I was looking for this capability as well but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this. Would be huge for working through a setlist live.  A big +1 for this.

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 11:35:03 AM »

I was looking for this capability as well but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this. Would be huge for working through a setlist live.  A big +1 for this.

I'll consider it! How would you prefer that it would be set up? Automatically map program change number to the saved sessions alphabetical order? Or a separate table where you assign specific sessions to pgm change numbers?

Note however that the selected MIDI sources for the "MIDI ctrl" destination is saved and restored from the session, so you'd need to make sure each session opened this way has the MIDI ctrl routing setup as you wish, otherwise loading the wrong session would break the connection to your MIDI controller (or whatever you use for sending the program change messages).

johnp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 02:50:22 PM »

I'll consider it! How would you prefer that it would be set up? Automatically map program change number to the saved sessions alphabetical order? Or a separate table where you assign specific sessions to pgm change numbers?

Note however that the selected MIDI sources for the "MIDI ctrl" destination is saved and restored from the session, so you'd need to make sure each session opened this way has the MIDI ctrl routing setup as you wish, otherwise loading the wrong session would break the connection to your MIDI controller (or whatever you use for sending the program change messages).

Definitely prefer a separate table to map sessions to program change numbers.  Yes, I get that it would up to me to ensure my controller setup matches the saved midi routing of the session. 

This would take midi automation to another place in terms of flexibility.  You could create completely different setups/routing combinations and switch relatively quickly to a different setup.  Of course you would still have to monitor that your nodes all loaded up properly, but with enough testing beforehand, a stable combination of changes can be arrived at.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 03:00:12 PM »

Definitely prefer a separate table to map sessions to program change numbers.  Yes, I get that it would up to me to ensure my controller setup matches the saved midi routing of the session. 

This would take midi automation to another place in terms of flexibility.  You could create completely different setups/routing combinations and switch relatively quickly to a different setup.  Of course you would still have to monitor that your nodes all loaded up properly, but with enough testing beforehand, a stable combination of changes can be arrived at.

Ok, cool. I'll put it on my list for the MIDI-focussed 1.2 update :)

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 06:42:41 PM »

This is stellar.  I can't even describe how sweet this will be for a live setup. 

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 08:35:40 PM »
Yes this is an awesome idea and agree that a separate table for mapping program changes would be the way to go. Perhaps even separate tables which could correspond to specific sets would be great. You'd start AUM and load a program table.

Although AUM can't keep track of all MIDI connections, I think it does the best job in a multi app/hardware setup on iOS and having notes built-in to AUM allows you to add in information about aspects of your setup that have to be done manually.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 09:56:48 AM »
Yes this is an awesome idea and agree that a separate table for mapping program changes would be the way to go. Perhaps even separate tables which could correspond to specific sets would be great. You'd start AUM and load a program table.

Right, so perhaps the current pgm change map would be persistent between launches of AUM, and in addition they can be saved and recalled, a bit like presets?

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 02:42:58 AM »

Right, so perhaps the current pgm change map would be persistent between launches of AUM, and in addition they can be saved and recalled, a bit like presets?
Yes, that would be very nice.

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 11:34:46 AM »
Just to add my +1 :-)

I have recommended the AUM app to a customer of mine (and he bought it right away), and the only thing he could need is to use MIDI program changes to switch between setups. E.g. he has a waltz setup, and if the next song is a polka he needs to change the set.

crony

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 11:32:10 AM »
+1 :)

crony

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 01:57:24 PM »
In fact, if it coud be natively integrated in all your apps, and also effects, that would be a big step for all of us...
Thanks for considering !

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 06:57:37 AM »
Another +1 here! would be great to switch between sessions this way

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 09:00:13 AM »
+1
It would the most useful add on to this incredible software

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 04:49:28 PM »

So, is this coming anytime soon? Can’t see it in v1.2.5

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 11:31:04 AM »
Other stuff has come in between, so I still haven't gotten around to this. Also haven't decided if this is the right way, or to have "snapshots" to quickly switch states (without reloading any IAA or AU plugins), or both.

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 11:01:58 AM »
Hi your app is great and unique, no latency, good sounding very beautiful and useful
but i agree, midi to change sessions is missing
it would be great to use aum on stage and control the changes with a footcontroler like in other apps i use ( tone stack or magellan).
Thanks

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 05:30:24 PM »
Other stuff has come in between, so I still haven't gotten around to this. Also haven't decided if this is the right way, or to have "snapshots" to quickly switch states (without reloading any IAA or AU plugins), or both.
This feature would be awesome for my iPad live use.
I play keyboards in a cover band, and I need to change presets instantly inside a song (without cutting the sound), and fast from one song to another.
So both could be important for me... anyway if only one could be done, I can choose the complete reload of the plugins, and I could use other apps to change inside a song.
Tahnks anyway.

crony

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 03:50:01 PM »
Yep, still needed here also, even if I came ATM to the conclusion that in a live situation it could be too risky...
But to recall in a studio situation all your parameters, then check, then play, that would be indeed nice :)