Hello Guest

Midi Routing config is not being saved

• 15 Replies
Midi Routing config is not being saved
« on: March 31, 2016, 06:59:28 AM »
iPAD Air 1, iOS 9.3

Midi routing config of internal apps, is not always saved with a patch.

Inserting external midi interface (ploytec) results in any internal input routing, disappearing.

Input routing of external midi, is never saved with the patch.

Re: Midi Routing config is not being saved
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 11:18:44 AM »
iPAD Air 1, iOS 9.3

Midi routing config of internal apps, is not always saved with a patch.

Which apps are this, more specifically? AUM restores the MIDI routing when loading a session. AUM can't know anything about the MIDI configuration/routing done inside the apps themselves, only the routing and setup done in AUM.

If some apps doesn't create their Virtual MIDI endpoints when initialized right away, they will not be available for AUM to restore at the time of loading the session. Future versions of AUM will remember "pending MIDI connections" and restore them if the endpoints show up later.

Inserting external midi interface (ploytec) results in any internal input routing, disappearing.

Can you explain that in more detail? I tried here to do some routing in the AUM MIDI matrix, then connect my Samson Graphite M25 via lightning-USB adapter, and it worked fine - the existing routings in the MIDI matrix didn't change.

Input routing of external midi, is never saved with the patch.

All of AUMs MIDI routing is saved in the session, also for external MIDI devices, as long as they are available at the time of loading the session. Could you give some more details of what your issue is here?

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 02:44:05 PM »
I can confirm that the matrix does indeed save all routing.

The issue turned out to be the interface. When the Midi Hardware connects, the virtual connections are pushed to the right and out of view and you need to scroll them back by touching the interface names. So it seems it is not possible to view the entire matrix as a whole and (involves both vertical and horizontal scrolling) makes the process quite awkward as the sidebar does not extend to compensate.

The name of my hardware interface extends out 15 characters beyond 'Network Session1'  and so eats this space, both top and bottom (maybe truncating characters beyond 'Network Session1' would help in this rare case)

To me it seems to point to the sidebar Menu not expanding in a liquid fashion....the behavior also shows it's self in the help section, lacking text enlargement.

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 03:18:10 PM »
I can confirm that the matrix does indeed save all routing.

The issue turned out to be the interface. When the Midi Hardware connects, the virtual connections are pushed to the right and out of view and you need to scroll them back by touching the interface names. So it seems it is not possible to view the entire matrix as a whole and (involves both vertical and horizontal scrolling) makes the process quite awkward as the sidebar does not extend to compensate.

The name of my hardware interface extends out 15 characters beyond 'Network Session1'  and so eats this space, both top and bottom (maybe truncating characters beyond 'Network Session1' would help in this rare case)

I see. Yes, truncating long names is a good idea, and making it more clear when there's scrollable content. Also perhaps show the matrix in a big view almost fullscreen instead of inside the menu, to make the need for scrolling less likely?

To me it seems to point to the sidebar Menu not expanding in a liquid fashion....the behavior also shows it's self in the help section, lacking text enlargement.

Not sure what you mean here though, could you explain in more detail?

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 03:22:31 PM »
Yes a full screen or large pop out would work well.

The help section text has no zoom ability...I assumed this was due to the fixed size of sidebar.

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 04:21:43 PM »
Yes a full screen or large pop out would work well.

The help section text has no zoom ability...I assumed this was due to the fixed size of sidebar.

You mean pinch-zoom as in Mobile Safari etc? That has nothing to do with the sidebar. I'll look into adding zoom to it, if you think the text is too small to read?

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 01:04:08 AM »
Yes pinch-zoom functionality would be great. If the manual was available on the web it wouldn't be an issue, but I don't think you have one.

Thanks

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 02:09:52 AM »
I'll expand a little on what happens on hot plugging an external midi interface.

The midi Sources/Routing are always saved in the session as expected.

Start a previous session...all good

Unplug interface, with focus on Midi Sources... entry is not dynamically removed from list

Go to Midi Routing, entry is removed. Go back to Midi Sources, entry is now removed.

Re-Plug interface, with focus on Midi Sources...no refresh.

Go to Midi Routing, entry is back...but routing has been lost.

Go to Midi Sources, entry is back but un-ticked.....Tick the source

Go to Midi Routing, entry is there but only one destination is enabled 'Midi Control'

So that's why I'm chasing my tail, sure enough you wouldn't normally hot-swap, but a power issue (what I was experiencing) will produce this behavior. Maybe hot-swap is not a feature on IOS.

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 10:07:34 AM »
Yes pinch-zoom functionality would be great. If the manual was available on the web it wouldn't be an issue, but I don't think you have one.

It's here: http://kymatica.com/aum/help.html

Linked from http://kymatica.com/aum#faq

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 10:12:59 AM »
I'll expand a little on what happens on hot plugging an external midi interface.

The midi Sources/Routing are always saved in the session as expected.

Start a previous session...all good

Unplug interface, with focus on Midi Sources... entry is not dynamically removed from list

Go to Midi Routing, entry is removed. Go back to Midi Sources, entry is now removed.

Re-Plug interface, with focus on Midi Sources...no refresh.

Go to Midi Routing, entry is back...but routing has been lost.

Go to Midi Sources, entry is back but un-ticked.....Tick the source

Go to Midi Routing, entry is there but only one destination is enabled 'Midi Control'

So that's why I'm chasing my tail, sure enough you wouldn't normally hot-swap, but a power issue (what I was experiencing) will produce this behavior. Maybe hot-swap is not a feature on IOS.

Thanks.
Indeed, "MIDI Sources" is not updated when the available sources changes, as one should expect. Will fix this!

The other observation is by design: MIDI routings are not persistent, when a MIDI port is removed from the system, any connections it had are also removed, and they are not re-created if the device/port happens to show up again. I'll probably change this for the 1.2 update, so that MIDI routings are remembered even for ports and devices not present on the system, and re-connected when they become present.

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 10:29:53 AM »
I'll probably change this for the 1.2 update, so that MIDI routings are remembered even for ports and devices not present on the system, and re-connected when they become present.

Yes, makes sense to put the onus on manually removing the ports if no longer required..thanks

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 11:27:05 AM »
Indeed, "MIDI Sources" is not updated when the available sources changes, as one should expect. Will fix this!

The other observation is by design: MIDI routings are not persistent, when a MIDI port is removed from the system, any connections it had are also removed, and they are not re-created if the device/port happens to show up again. I'll probably change this for the 1.2 update, so that MIDI routings are remembered even for ports and devices not present on the system, and re-connected when they become present.

I really hope you fix this so that hardware routes are sticky, I've spent days messing about with routing in an AudioConnect4+ which requires a lot of re-booting and of course resetting routing in AUM...exhausting stuff.

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 10:45:46 PM »
Ditto. Just started using AUM for live performance, and really need MIDI routing to be saved with Session. Thanks!

crony

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 06:58:02 AM »
+1

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 10:16:15 AM »
Ditto. Just started using AUM for live performance, and really need MIDI routing to be saved with Session. Thanks!

Just to be clear, the MIDI routing *is* already saved with the session. But the MIDI endpoints must be available when you load the session. For hardware, make sure you have it plugged in before you load the session. For other apps that create virtual endpoints, make sure to set them up before loading the session. In the future I'll make routings to non-available endpoints be remembered and re-connected when/if the endpoints shows up.

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 04:45:37 PM »
Ah! I must have launched AUM before turning on some of my equipment. Thanks. In the future I will always launch AUM after my other apps and hardware have started.