Hello Guest

Stereo balance and stereo panning not working

• 4 Replies
Stereo balance and stereo panning not working
« on: May 05, 2016, 02:45:10 AM »
Hi, it seems I cannot pan L/R with neither the STEREO PANNING or the STEREO BALANCE node.
When I pan, the volume attenuates but the stereo field won't change. I'm verifying this with headphones.  I thought maybe it was my source which is Thor as an IAA but the same goes with Patterning as an IAA. The sample that I'm using in patterning is mono. Thanks!

iPad 3 mini w/retina
iOS 9.3.1
AUM 1.1

Re: Stereo balance and stereo panning not working
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 11:11:36 AM »
Hi, it seems I cannot pan L/R with neither the STEREO PANNING or the STEREO BALANCE node.
When I pan, the volume attenuates but the stereo field won't change. I'm verifying this with headphones.  I thought maybe it was my source which is Thor as an IAA but the same goes with Patterning as an IAA. The sample that I'm using in patterning is mono. Thanks!

The panning and balance nodes does work just fine, so there must be something else in your setup that confuses things. Perhaps some other node down the chain that converts it to mono. Can you post a screenshot or describe the channel strips you have in AUM? And are you using the built-in headphone jack or an external audio interface?

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 12:31:07 AM »
Yeah I figured it's something I'm doing since nothing came up when I did a search. Didn't mean to imply they don't work.

To answer your question , I'm using the headphone jack. My screen shot won't upload cause of the file size restriction. But the channel strip meters appear mono despite which input/output I choose to display. And the only node I have is stereo panning.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 12:33:01 AM by Blipsford_Baubie »

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 11:50:59 AM »
Yeah I figured it's something I'm doing since nothing came up when I did a search. Didn't mean to imply they don't work.

To answer your question , I'm using the headphone jack. My screen shot won't upload cause of the file size restriction. But the channel strip meters appear mono despite which input/output I choose to display. And the only node I have is stereo panning.

I tweaked the settings, try uploading a screenshot again! It should now allow up to 2Mb attachments.

You mean the bus meter at the top shows activity only on one channel?

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 03:35:39 AM »
Ok, it was hardware related :-)

In the midst of replying with a long post; just as I went to look at my headphones model, long and behold I see the mono/stereo switch on my cans switched to mono. I've had them for years and just kinda set-it and forgot all about it since I never needed to change it.  Something must of bumped them in my bag :-[

Thanks anyway for your time. I'm loving my new setup thanks to this app BTW :-)