Hello Guest

Curious about implementation

• 2 Replies
Curious about implementation
« on: September 13, 2016, 02:38:59 AM »
Hey there, amazing job on this app, I've had a ton of fun with it!

I was wondering: apple seems to be really hesitant about the possibility of outside code running in their apps. Were there any problems for you in the app store review process, since your app allows external code to run? Any tips for avoiding apple's axe? I'm looking to also have some kind of code in a music app I'm building (don't worry it's very different).

I'm also just curious about how you made this. Did you build your own interpreter? It's really cool!

Thanks!

Re: Curious about implementation
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 10:49:04 AM »
Hi,

As far as I understand, the banning of code interpreters in App Store is about running code that can actually be used to make real software. In this case, it's not really a programming language but simply an expression evaluator. If they'd ban BitWiz because of this, they'd need to ban all calculator apps as well :)
I guess the line can get blurry, if you add branching and UI elements, but I think as long as it's confined and limited to a very specific purpose you'll be fine.

Yes, I wrote a C expression evaluator, consisting of a parser that outputs a list of operators and constants. This flat list of instructions are then evaluated in the audio thread, using a stack to push/pop constants and results. It's the typical "C expression calculator" example code, really.

Hey there, amazing job on this app, I've had a ton of fun with it!

I was wondering: apple seems to be really hesitant about the possibility of outside code running in their apps. Were there any problems for you in the app store review process, since your app allows external code to run? Any tips for avoiding apple's axe? I'm looking to also have some kind of code in a music app I'm building (don't worry it's very different).

I'm also just curious about how you made this. Did you build your own interpreter? It's really cool!

Thanks!

Re: Curious about implementation
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 06:05:51 AM »
Cool, that makes sense. Thanks.