Hello Guest

External control Midi control of AUM clock

• 12 Replies
External control Midi control of AUM clock
« on: October 10, 2016, 07:31:46 PM »
Hello AUM community. I am a newcomer here. For starters, AUM is the best iOS app I have purchased to date. I am using it to perform live as a solo act. My basic setup is:
one channel for Bias FX and live guitar
one channel for Soft Drummer
one channel for Drum Jam
one channel as a file player to run synced backing tracks

iConnectAUDIO4+
Arturia Beat Step

I certainly have ambitions to run more channels and apps in the future, but this is enough to keep me busy for now.

My biggest challenge so far is loading files between songs. I have settled on using a single file player so that the midi controls are always in the same spot on my midi controller (Arturia Beat Step). I use a pad for track play enable, and a pad for mute. I also use a rotary encoder to control the fader.  Loading the new song files in the file player on the fly is actually not too hard, although the screen is sometimes hard to read onstage. The bigger challenge is trying to change the bpm at the same time. This is essential as all of the files have the bpm included in the file name. I know that I can type in the bpm, but that is very small onscreen, and one more thing to contend with while trying to remain spontaneous during the show.

I wonder if there is any way to change the bpm in the AUM clock using an external controller, while  still using AUM as the master clock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, Jonatan, it would be very cool to have some sort of playlist option in the file player that would automatically change the audio file and the bpm at the push of a button (just my two cents).

Thanks in advance to all.

Kirk

Re: External control Midi control of AUM clock
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 08:04:01 PM »
Also, this is all being done on an iPad Pro with iOS 10

crony

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 07:15:11 AM »
Hello,

The only thing I can think now for doing that, is maybe to load a song from soft drummer (I think it keeps the saved tempo on songs, not on free patterns, really in song mode).
That will change your tempo, then you can load your track on your file player, then play it in sync...

On "old" Cubase, you could send the tempo thru midi parameter to change it on the fly. I wish you could do that into patterns into Modstep (has it handle midi+Link) it would be faster, as you would use the sampler of Modstep to playback your wav file. BUT, the sampler doesn't play long samples...

So I also think you might use Launchpad app to playback a full wav track ? (as it can timestrech live, it could be nice...) Not sure about the maximum length you can have with Launchpad...But it would solve your problem as you can load a new song, with a different tempo and stay in sync all the time (as it has Link technology)

My 2 cents :)

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 03:08:13 PM »
Thanks Crony! I am now 2 cents richer ;-)

So who is the master in that scenario? Actually, I should have mentioned that Soft Drummer is only involved in about 50 percent of the tracks I play. And Drum Jam is only on select songs as well. Sometimes I use strictly a file player to provide the backing  track. I might explore the Launchpad app. I have the free version right now and I was reluctant to upgrade. I have so many apps right now that it is difficult to learn them all sufficiently.

By the way, it sounds like you have Soft Drummer. Do you know how to control the start and stop function remotely? I have only been able to do it using Audiobus Remote, and that is still a bit of a mystery to me on the whole. Drum Jam responds very nicely to the AUM transport controls when AUM is the master.

I will be trying my current setup live on stage this Thursday at Shank Hall in Milwaukee, Wisconsin as opener for Midge Ure (Ultravox). I will trry to report back how things go. After that I will have time to dig in and explore your suggestions. For now I will be loading files and chaging tempos on the fly. Wish me luck!

Thanks

Kirk out...

crony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 08:49:44 PM »
No one is the master here, it's the principle of Link...Any app can change the tempo.
I guess you talk about a master start/stop ? AUM is indeed great as it can be controlled thru midi.
Soft Drummer can be controlled thru midi start/stop with G1 or G2 or G3 keyboard (as far as I remember) midi implementation is available at the app page directly.
But I have issue with it : it starts but stop after 1 bar, but I have lots of apps running...

Break a leg :)

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 12:45:25 PM »
Regarding loading new files and change BPM on the fly, I think all this would be best handled with a feature I have in mind: "snapshots".

In contrast to a session, a snapshot would only store the parameters and data of all nodes and fader levels etc. This could include the files loaded in FilePlayers, as well as the global BPM. There could be a bar of snapshot slots/buttons, perhaps in the same visual area as the built-in keyboard. At any time, one snapshot slot is always active, and all changes you make are automatically stored in that snapshot. A bit like the memory slots in SECTOR, in case you've seen it.

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 08:28:07 PM »
Crony, your suggestion about Soft Drummer did the trick. I am able to quickly adjust the bpm using the fader in Soft Drummer. If only it would start and stop with the AUM transport controls! Maybe someday. As it is, I like to keep the rhythm going between some songs, so it is not a deal breaker at this time. And I also have hardware control of the mute button on the Soft Drummer channel in AUM, so I can kill the audio at will. Incidentally, this whole episode has given me a chance to explore the use of Audiobus in my setup, and it has really opened some doors for me. Someday we will look back at these baby step days of iOS inter-app capabilities with much fondness ;-). Thank the powers that be for people like Jonatan who continue to expand the boundaries of what is possible!

And Jonatan, if you create snapshots, will the audio from AUM be temporarily muted while recalling a new snapshot, or will any apps running in the background be able to continue to be audible during changes? Great idea by the way. The way I run my show I like to have some type of rhythm or ambient sound running while I segue between songs. I keep one AUM session open at all times so that my guitar channel is always live, as well as various apps for whatever purpose strikes my fancy in the moment. Then I just call up the new file in the file player channel.

I am open to any and all suggestions if anyone has any input. Thanks again, this is a great forum for a great app!

Kirk out...

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 11:32:32 AM »
And Jonatan, if you create snapshots, will the audio from AUM be temporarily muted while recalling a new snapshot, or will any apps running in the background be able to continue to be audible during changes? Great idea by the way. The way I run my show I like to have some type of rhythm or ambient sound running while I segue between songs. I keep one AUM session open at all times so that my guitar channel is always live, as well as various apps for whatever purpose strikes my fancy in the moment. Then I just call up the new file in the file player channel.

It would simply change the parameters of plugins and fader levels etc, just as if you'd programmed an external MIDI controller to send a bunch of CCs to control it. So audio would not be interrupted. It would be nice to have an option to lock a channel from being affected by snapshot-recalls..

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 07:48:07 PM »
Jonatan,

That sounds perfect! Any news on an update release date?

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 11:44:18 AM »
Jonatan,

That sounds perfect! Any news on an update release date?

Sorry, can't say a date for the moment. I've got several other large projects going on for the moment! But hoping to find the time for an update before the end of the year.

crony

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 10:53:57 AM »
Well, happy new year ;)

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 09:25:46 PM »
Thank you, Crony. Happy New Year!

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 11:14:28 AM »
Did any of the above get Implemented yet?

External clock control?
Snapshots?

Cheers.