Hello Guest

AUM monitoring, and latency question

• 5 Replies
AUM monitoring, and latency question
« on: May 15, 2017, 08:11:56 PM »
1. Coming from DAWs like Reaper and Logic, I haven't yet figured out monitoring and routing in AUM, but I'm sure the following can be achieved.. I'm using Modstep together with two analog hardware synths, and I want to record everything into AUM. I bring in the samples from Modstep as IAA outputs, and I want to monitor and record those channels post fader, so I can adjust the levels, panning and filters in AUM while recording. The analog synths however, I want to record straight from the inputs without any soft monitoring, since I have Direct Monitor with FX on my audio interface (UR242). I may want to add some AUFX Dub delay in AUM though, as send fx from a synth channel to a mix bus, and monitor that but not the synths itself. Is this possible?

2. When jamming in AUM with various apps,for example Modstep, Elastic Drums and iMPC Pro and syncing with Ableton Link, tempo and start/stop works great but I hear different latencies from each app although they're at the same buffer setting. It's very annoying and makes it hard to have, say, a kick drum in one app, other drums from one and synth bass from a third app. Is there a way to fix this? I could wish for a manual latency slider on every track, + - 100 ms for the situation where automatic latency compensation doesn't seem to work. I often use various forms of track audio or midi delay in desktop DAWs to align recorded audio, soft instruments and hardware by ear.

I have an iPad Air 2 and latest versions of the apps I've mentioned.
Thanks to Kymatica for all the great apps!

/Daniel

Re: AUM monitoring, and latency question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 12:05:13 PM »
1. Sure. Just put the hardware synths (audio interface inputs) in their own channels, and eject the channels default output node. A channel can record even without an output node. Add a bus send to an effect channel as usual. If you want to record their mix, use a bus as output and add a channel receiving on that bus for recording, with no output node.

2. Ableton Link is designed to get perfect alignment without having to manually adjust any delays. If this doesn't work for you, it means some app is not implementing Link correctly. You could try this: enable the metronome in AUM, load the various apps in their channels, but don't use any insert effects etc just their clean output. Now start playback on all and make sure Link is enabled in all apps. Now listen to each one and compare it to the AUM metronome. Which ones are in phase and which ones are not?

But yes, a +/- ms latency adjustment insert node is on my TODO. It will allow you to insert extra (or even negative) delay at any point in a channels signal flow.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 06:18:53 PM »
Thanks for the fast response and great tips to try. This thing with nodes really is a brilliant idea, and makes a lot of sense. I just never thought of ejecting the output node.. Now I've figured out that you can do pretty much the same routing as in any advanced DAW, but with fewer menus and settings!

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 08:06:16 PM »
Thanks for the fast response and great tips to try. This thing with nodes really is a brilliant idea, and makes a lot of sense. I just never thought of ejecting the output node.. Now I've figured out that you can do pretty much the same routing as in any advanced DAW, but with fewer menus and settings!

I tried to make it as flexible as possible, coming from a background of using lots of analog mixing consoles, patchbays, outboard effect gear and modular synths :)

Let me know if you find any kind of routing that seems missing in AUM, and I'll try to figure it out.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 07:54:54 PM »
You could try this: enable the metronome in AUM, load the various apps in their channels, but don't use any insert effects etc just their clean output. Now start playback on all and make sure Link is enabled in all apps. Now listen to each one and compare it to the AUM metronome.

Now I've done some testing with five different instrument apps which have their own sequencers, by listening to their metronomes when brought in on separate channels in AUM. At first I thought I got a reliable result, measuring latencies. But when I took a break, stopped the transport and then started it again the result was different and some apps that didn't follow the beat before were now spot on. If this has to do with specific apps, the implemantation of Link in iOS or just me having more sync problems than others, I can't say. But it has nothing to do with AUM anyway, and it doesn't seem like a +- ms slider could have fixed this. Maybe some track delay + - would benefit the File player though, if you record various apps and hardware into AUM, both live and with overdubs. However, with just one or two sequencing apps running I managed to get perfect results after a while, so I'm happy anyway!

I tried to make it as flexible as possible, coming from a background of using lots of analog mixing consoles, patchbays, outboard effect gear and modular synths :)

And you've really managed to make AUM feel and work much more like an analog setup than most music software. At least for a typical (or experimental) electronic music production setup, I think all necessary routing is covered. But I'm sure more questions will come :)

crony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 03:46:00 PM »
Hi,

Sorry for digging such old post, but is there such node implemented now ?
Is it an audio node (I think it's that) or a midi node that you would implement ?

Actually an audio node that could delay being assigned on tracks will suit my needs perfectly.
In my case, and I guess in any cases, it couldn't be "before" (it's above the capacity of the hardware latency of the soundcard...) but delay a bit the signal that comes too early while you play an app on a local iPad, and get audio outputs getting into it at the same time.

I'm actually using a AUUFX PEAK to "slow down" on the concerned app, but still not perfectly controlled and accurate enough...

Thanks for your enlightenment :)