Hello Guest

Apply Space, Push and PeakQ to different channels in AUM?

• 2 Replies
Apply Space, Push and PeakQ to different channels in AUM?
« on: June 26, 2017, 10:40:13 PM »
First, a quick compliment.The maker of Quantiloop recommended AUM, and it's amazing. I've been able to remove gear and greatly simplify my setup because of it. I also purchased Push, PeakQ and Space, because your design aesthetic is brilliant.

But I'm not using it your programs correctly. I've attached a basic setup diagram. In short, I have:
- guitar and vocal mic into a 2-channel audio interface (Presonus iTwo)
- midi footboard and midi drum combined into same iTwo
- iTwo out to iPad via USB, and then back out through mains

On the iPad, my goal is to:
- apply effects separately to guitar and vocal before they go to Quantiloop. (That's what I'm stuck on.)
- have a 'vocal pass' channel, so that I can play guitar and record to looper while I sing, without recording the vocal mic (that's where AUM allowed me to trigger a mute toggle on two vocal mic channels - one to Quantiloop, and the other bypassing Quantiloop - brilliant!)

My problems are:
- I don't know how to apply effects (PeakQ, Space and Push) separately to guitar/vocal. Is it possible?
- when I tried before, I could apply the effects to both vocal and guitar at the same time, but I ended up with significant latency. Enough that I had to switch to MasterFX, which fixed the latency problem, but I'm not as much a fan of that as I am of your effects.

I know that I don't know what I'm doing. I'm trying, but it's taking me hours and I'm not getting it right. If I've described my setup well enough, would you be able to send me a screenshot of how you think I should have AUM set up? Or ask more questions to clarify?

Re: Apply Space, Push and PeakQ to different channels in AUM?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 02:05:49 PM »
Hi,

Thanks, glad you like my apps!

Regarding the latency in AUFX: you need to turn off their internal lookahead-limiter. When that's off, the AUFX apps does not add any additional latency.

I'm not entirely sure how to help you, but the basic concept is like this: When you create a channel in AUM, you can select either L or R input of hardware. That way, make two input channels, one for voice and one for guitar. Then simply add the effects you want as inserts on these channels. For example AUFX:Space on voice and AUFX:Dub on guitar.

If you want more advanced setups, for example having a bit of reverb and delay on both channels but in different amounts, then you need to use bus sends and make two effect channels that receives from those busses. Then you need to set dry/wet mix to 100% wet in the effect apps.

Good luck!

Re: Apply Space, Push and PeakQ to different channels in AUM?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 06:03:54 PM »
Thanks, Jonatan - I appreciate the quick response. Basic concepts are good for me :-) It makes sense when I read through it, so I'll work through it on the apps, now.

Cheers!
Terry