Hello Guest

Dry signal sounds muddy

• 6 Replies
Dry signal sounds muddy
« on: August 11, 2017, 01:46:05 PM »
I hear the instrument signal definitely modified in Dub, as if warbler is added. So I set Input to Left only, and other parameters, to no avail. I also wish to separate wet/dry output, for instance to play Telemann Canons.
I have a transducer pickup on my cello and usually plug it into my Fishman preamp, then go into a bass amp for clean rich sound reinforcement.
Purchased the AUFX bundle on iPad, am using USB input & headphone out jack: inserted between the preamp & bass amp. Both iPad interfaces are stereo so I wish to simplify and hope that will clean up the sound?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:09:26 PM by Karl »

Re: Dry signal sounds muddy
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 04:37:06 PM »
Evidently I should not use Dub as a standalone app for live mono performance.
I bought your AUFX bundle anticipating the useful features, but opening more than one also makes a dry signal muddy!
Obviously I'm new to this; do I need AUM to tie apps together in a proper sequence?

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:45:05 AM »
Jonatan, I would have liked to hear from you because my learning curve is steep! Meanwhile I benefited from reading other posts and invested in AUM based on my own research and continued faith in you.
Muddiness is attributed to stereo processing of mono instrument signal!
So, my setup consists of AUM + AUFX bundle on an iPad; relying totally on your products, I am not disappointed: diddled with a few configurations and am ready 'enough' for my first live performance tomorrow!
I used email to submit a few screenshots and study up on AUFX:Push next. iOS uses .jpeg on screenshots so this forum does not allow native attachments.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 04:30:12 PM by Karl »

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 12:30:37 PM »
I think you need AUM to tie apps together in a proper sequence for amazing performance

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 04:37:45 PM »
Sorry for the delay, I've been away from work during the summer!

The AUFX apps doesn't do anything with the dry signal, but if you're running multiple AUFX apps in parallell then I guess it could lead to distortion. Host them in AUM to get a proper effect chain (or parallell effects in a controlled way if needed). Hope that you got everything working as you wanted!

Cheers

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 04:35:05 PM »
Yes, thank you very much; I'm learning!
I see that on my iPad, only one instance of an AUFX app can be running at once, so if I try to insert the same effect in more than one place in AUM, it shows the same settings and probably won't work correctly. Must I use a second iPad, or apply the effect after recording?

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 01:50:02 PM »
That's right, the AUFX apps can only run as single instances. So you can't run two AUFX:Space at the same time. But you can of course run AUFX:Space and AUFX:Dub at the same time, etc..

For time-based effects such as delays and reverbs, most people use effect busses. This is possible in AUM as well, and uses only one instance of AUFX:Space (for example) and then allows choosing the amount of reverb-sends from multiple other channels.