Hello Guest

Trim problems with AAC audio files

• 2 Replies
Trim problems with AAC audio files
« on: October 11, 2013, 08:59:19 PM »
First of all, congratulations for your app. It is easy to use, fast and has all the basic tools I need.

However, I'm having a problem using trim on AAC files. It seems the position of the trim cursors does not correspond with the final area trimmed. For instance, if a place the right trim cursor at the of the file, a few seconds are removed from the resulting file. In fact, if I click on the "play" button, the play cursor seems to start in the wrong position. The position seems to be ok at the beginning of the file, but gets worse at the end. So, if I trim a portion at the beginning of the file, the problem is hard to notice. However, if I try to cut a portion at the end, the problem is evident.

The problem is happening with a mono ADTS file using compr 44100 Hz and a length of 21:14.

If I convert the same file to MP3 format, the problem gets solved.

Thanks in advance

Re: Trim problems with AAC audio files
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 11:27:26 PM »
First of all, congratulations for your app. It is easy to use, fast and has all the basic tools I need.

However, I'm having a problem using trim on AAC files. It seems the position of the trim cursors does not correspond with the final area trimmed. For instance, if a place the right trim cursor at the of the file, a few seconds are removed from the resulting file. In fact, if I click on the "play" button, the play cursor seems to start in the wrong position. The position seems to be ok at the beginning of the file, but gets worse at the end. So, if I trim a portion at the beginning of the file, the problem is hard to notice. However, if I try to cut a portion at the end, the problem is evident.

The problem is happening with a mono ADTS file using compr 44100 Hz and a length of 21:14.

If I convert the same file to MP3 format, the problem gets solved.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the report, I will take a look and see if I can fix it. On the other hand, editing compressed files should be avoided if possible, since a re-encoding will loose some quality. So if the original is compressed (AAC or MP3), it's better to first convert it to WAV or AIFF and use and edit that one instead (and not convert back to a lossy format), that way there is still only a single encoding-decoding process involved.

Re: Trim problems with AAC audio files
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 07:40:16 AM »
Thank you very. That will be very helpful.
In my case, I'm using another tool to record AAC files for long sessions of my music classes. Then, I use audio share to cut the interesting pieces and share them with the rest of the members of the class.