Hello Guest

Keyboard bug in 11.1

• 19 Replies
Keyboard bug in 11.1
« on: November 05, 2017, 04:52:02 PM »
Just noticed an interesting issue/bug introduced with 11.1. If you use the AUM keyboard right at the bottom of the screen there is now a 400/500 m/sec delay before the key activates. This is not just an audio delay but a physical delay before the key changes colour. Move further up on the screen and everything is OK.

So far this only happens in Apps that have keys drawn via graphics calls such as AUM and LayR. It does not happen on Apps that have ‘real world’ bitmap Keys, such as Nave and MOOG Model 15. It also does not happen with the keyboard in AB3 when using AUs.

Another bit of information which may help - if you play two note simultaneously it does not happen.

Another interesting thing has happen - the delay that you get using Bluetooth headphones from when you press the keyboard and hear the sound has drastically reduced. It is now almostusable - that is if you don’t use the keyboard right at the edge of the screen!!!

I am using an iPad Pro 12.9 1st gen.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 05:43:37 PM by agarman »

Re: Keyboard bug in 11.1
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 12:05:15 PM »
Thanks for the report! I'm pretty sure it's because of the new Dock in iOS 11. It waits to see if the user will drag the finger up to reveal the dock.. In some apps it doesn't show right away but first shows a handle instead. I'll investigate and see if there's anything I can do to change the behavior on my end.

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:07:18 AM »
Ok, great news! Fix found. For other developers having the same issue, add this to your view controller:

Code: [Select]
- (UIRectEdge)preferredScreenEdgesDeferringSystemGestures {
    return UIRectEdgeAll;
}

KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 01:56:11 PM »
Ok, great news! Fix found. For other developers having the same issue, add this to your view controller:

return UIRectEdgeAll;
}

Great stuff!

So this will bring up the ‘little arrow’ tab..
Which is much better..

King
:-)

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 10:28:53 PM »
Excellent- good news and good work.

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 11:06:45 AM »
So, should be fixed now at least for iPad. Unfortunately it seems the fix didn't help with avoiding the control center on iPhones, even if you turn off "control center access from within apps" in Settings app. :(

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 11:18:10 AM »
So, should be fixed now at least for iPad. Unfortunately it seems the fix didn't help with avoiding the control center on iPhones, even if you turn off "control center access from within apps" in Settings app. :(

Oh, sorry this was my mistake. Will fix for iPhone in the next update!

KING

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 07:32:39 PM »
[Ref: 135]

This only works when AUM’s keyboard is visible!
Not when for example an AU/their keyboard is at the bottom of the screen (in full-screen).
Maybe this is intentional?

Could it be code-able for when an AU’s keyboard is on screen, (in full-screen) but not when the AU doesn’t have a keyboard?
Can AUM detect, or be programmed to detect, when a AU is displaying a keyboard in full-screen? Because the one swipe up for the spring board is handy too.. But at the moment I’m still having an issue playing Kauldron’ keyboard.

King
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 07:38:44 PM by KING »

KING

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 07:43:02 PM »
Summary:

1. When AUM’s keyboard is not displayed/AU is not in full screen, = normal swipe up for springboard.
2. If AU has a built in keyboard and is in full-screen, = we get the little arrow.

King
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 07:55:26 PM by KING »

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 08:24:05 PM »
Yeah, this is by design. I like having the normal swipe up for the dock when possible. However, I don't think this is a problem for AU plugins, since the plugin window has quite a thick (22 points) border at the bottom, covering the problematic screen edge.

KING

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 08:44:44 PM »
Yeah I like it too..

I think the issue so far then is once again ‘Kauldron’. Because we have to still extend a little to get it’s  keyboard.
So when we ‘X’ and re-open, the “22 points” border is off/below screen.
Just tried it with the border showing and it makes sense.

However it did reveal another issue:
Double tapping the bottom bar, does the same as the top bar, - defaults the window etc..

Not great when playing keyboard.. (if the bottom bar could be disabled).

... (Difficult to get a full 100 feel for Kauldron’ Full Screen at the moment)..

King
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:49:30 PM by KING »

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 08:48:46 PM »
Yeah I like it too..

I think the issue so far then is once again ‘Kauldron’. Because we have to still extend a little to get it’s  keyboard.
So when we ‘X’ and re-open, the “22 points” border is off/below screen.
Just tried it with the border showing and it makes sense.

Kauldron will get fixed regarding this, as far as I've heard :)

However it did reveal another issue:
Double tapping the bottom bar, does the same as the top bar, - defaults the window etc..

Not great when playing keyboard.. (if the bottom bar could be disabled).

Good point! I should check that it's only the top bar that is double-tapped.

KING

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
Excellent! (as usual)

King

KING

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 10:52:53 PM »
[Ref: 136]

Release! Release! Haha

All is well.

Anyway, a lot of peeps Love seeing a long written list of fixes, improvements and new features - I know I do!

It’s good to go! :-)

King

KING

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 01:48:51 AM »

Oh, sorry this was my mistake. Will fix for iPhone in the next update!

Do you have the updated code? I’m trying to help out and get this across to a couple devs..

Cheers,

King

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 11:47:16 AM »
The fix is adding this to your UIViewController subclass:
    return UIRectEdgeAll;
}

KING

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 05:26:13 PM »
The fix is adding this to your UIViewController subclass:
    return UIRectEdgeAll;
}

Cool! I’ll pass this on.

Thought there was another (code) as the lower was fine, but the edges needed updating.

Anyway cheers,

King
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:00:15 PM by KING »

KING

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2017, 06:00:56 PM »
(Example) If the ‘Keyboard Destination’ menu is open, keyboard still has the same issue etc..

King

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2017, 09:16:52 PM »
(Example) If the ‘Keyboard Destination’ menu is open, keyboard still has the same issue etc..

That's because I haven't added the preferredScreenEdgesDeferringSystemGestures code to the 'Keyboard Destination' view controller. I figured it wasn't important for all the various popups and menu's, since they are just shown temporarily.

KING

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 10:50:45 PM »

That's because I haven't added the preferredScreenEdgesDeferringSystemGestures code to the 'Keyboard Destination' view controller. I figured it wasn't important for all the various popups and menu's, since they are just shown temporarily.

Yeah! Totally understandable!
The only reason I found this out is because there are times (especially with Rozeta) when I need to make sure of the connection. And a quick tap (on the keyboard) wasn’t doing it, so I thought the connections were wrong. This happened a few times till I sussed what was happening.

It might be needed for that one, (pop up) ;)

Cheers,

King

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 10:54:45 PM by KING »