Hello Guest

feature request: sidechained compressor

• 5 Replies
feature request: sidechained compressor
« on: November 13, 2017, 03:26:18 PM »
I know AUFX Push can accept a sidechain, but its IAA and only one instance ... state saving not possible in AUM etc.

Any chance AUM dynamics nodes could have a routable sidechain input added ?

Cheers.

Re: feature request: sidechained compressor
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 03:55:38 PM »
I know AUFX Push can accept a sidechain, but its IAA and only one instance ... state saving not possible in AUM etc.

Any chance AUM dynamics nodes could have a routable sidechain input added ?

I've thought about it as well. However, I think I'm more interested in supporting side-chaining with AUv3, and perhaps make such an AUv3 side-chain compressor (or at least port AUFX:Push). But it needs a way to route multiple signals into a single AU instance, which is still not possible in any host that I know of - and there's no AU that supports it since there's no host for it, etc..

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 04:09:30 PM »
That would be wonderful / even better, but yes alas we need host support....

In the meantime.... ducking using midi note to control / automate dynamics or gain kind of works - but no fine control over attack / release... :-)

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 04:46:27 PM »
It would be very easy for someone to create an clocked ducking "sidechain simulator" effect app, as seems popular on the desktop. Oh, wait a minute, there already is! Audio Damage's "Pumphouse".

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 06:02:09 PM »
Yeah - and got that one - and its great! But I like to be a bit more irregular with my kicks and sometimes sidechain from my snares too.! You are right tho - and Pumphouse covers 80% of what I'm looking for. Also can achieve similar with midi lfo to AUM automation...

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 12:50:04 PM »
Yep, I hear you.. I just need to figure out how multi-bus routing would be handled in the user interface. There could be synths with several outs, and effects with several ins, several outs, or both. How and where would the user select which bus to use and for which instance, that's the question...