Hello Guest

Avoiding feedback when turning off soundcard?

• 2 Replies
Avoiding feedback when turning off soundcard?
« on: January 10, 2018, 06:30:23 AM »
Hi!

First of all, I want to say thanks for AUM, it's an incredibly useful and stable tool as well as great example of modern user interface design.

I'm however having a small annoying issue:
- I'm using an audio interface (iConnectAudio4+) to get some external signals into AUM
- I have an AUM project set up with the inputs from the card going different channels
- However, as soon as I either turn off my audio interface or unplug the ipad, the external channels input source instantly revert to the microphone input and thus starts feedbacking as the sound also starts going through the ipad's speakers.

It's no major issue as this is hitting AUM's limiter on my project's main bus and so far hasn't blew up my poor ipad's speaker yet ;) -- but it's still no fun to hear this everytime i forget to mute or kill AUM before ending a session.

Am I the only one having this issue? Any tip to avoid this?

Re: Avoiding feedback when turning off soundcard?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 03:55:13 PM »
Right. Perhaps it would make sense if AUM automatically mutes a channel (or bypasses the input node) if it detects going from external audio interface to built-in mic?

To avoid it, perhaps just set your internal speakers on mute, or lower the built-in volume to zero or very low? (do this before connecting the external audio)

PS. There's no risk of damaging your iPads built-in speakers. They are designed to handle the maximum possible levels, by automatically adjusting the gain.

Re: Avoiding feedback when turning off soundcard?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 11:58:55 PM »
Right. Perhaps it would make sense if AUM automatically mutes a channel (or bypasses the input node) if it detects going from external audio interface to built-in mic?

This sounds like it would be a sensible solution -- I saw a couple of apps offering such an option (flux:fx for example) to avoid this feedback problem.