Hello Guest

AUM crash in iOS 11

• 10 Replies
AUM crash in iOS 11
« on: January 22, 2018, 07:23:11 AM »
Hi,
I’m having this problem since upgrading to iOS 11. Every now and then AUM crashes. The screen goes black with this round “wait” icon in the middle.
Doesn’t seem to be related to any particular app. I haven’t got a sound card connected or anything. Last time, I used a BT controller, but that’s not normally the case. I doesn’t happen often. Happened last night, and the cpu was at maybe 40-50%. I can immediately start over and continue (at least if I have saved the session), but of course it’s not fun when it happens. And I fear it’s going to happen during live usage.
Have anyone else experienced this?

Re: AUM crash in iOS 11
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 03:35:51 PM »
I've heard of this happening to a few users. No app is allowed or supposed to be able to get the whole system to reboot like that, which indicates that it's some kind of iOS or hardware bug. Unfortunately I have no idea what's triggering it, and have never seen it myself, so it's hard to work around it. Did anyone ever experience this when *not* using AUM? Did anyone experience it while not using MIDI? (I have some suspicions..)

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 12:03:59 AM »
Ok. Thanks for the reply. So far only AUM for me. But then again, I almost never make music without AUM. And just this weekend I had a session going for a couple of hours without problems. :)

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 07:39:48 PM »
Sorry to say, same thing here: iPad mini 4, current version of iOS 11. My patches usually consist of one or several built-in file players, the AUFX and Rozeta suites plus the occasional iPulsaret. No external gear, just headphones or a Bluetooth speaker. After two minutes or two hours or any other period, the iPad reboots to the lock screen. Not always, not often, but… well… it does happen. Best regards from Frankfurt – Niko

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 07:56:24 PM »
Aha, and two minutes ago it happened outside AUM, but while using the IAA effect chain feature in AudioShare: AShare as file player with AUFX Space, Dub, and PeaQ in the effect slots.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 09:27:14 AM »
Aha, and two minutes ago it happened outside AUM, but while using the IAA effect chain feature in AudioShare: AShare as file player with AUFX Space, Dub, and PeaQ in the effect slots.

The IAA chain in AudioShare is a lot simpler than AUM, and a lot different. I think this shows that the issue is an audio-related bug in iOS. As said previously, the sandboxing nature of iOS means there's no way for a third-party app to affect the whole system to bring it to a reboot like that even if it tried.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 07:48:03 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply - what you said totally makes sense. Let's hope for the best, i.e. Apple seeing the light.

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 11:25:13 AM »
I've had the same issue a few times. IOS 11.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 01:06:32 PM »
If anyone can grab the Console logs around the time this happens next time, please send it to me!

That would perhaps allow me to get a clue of what's triggering it, regardless if it's my apps or something else.

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 01:21:55 PM »
For anyone having these issues, try and disable notifications for all apps in Settings, as well as disable background app data fetching in Settings->General. Does that help?

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 10:13:34 PM »
BREAKING NEWS! I think I've found that the reason this is happening is because I'm using Apple's CAInterAppAudioSwitcherView in AUFX and Sector, that shows all active IAA apps for easy switching between them. Unfortunately that thing is buggy, and switching back to the host via this panel triggers a condition that leads to an iOS system process (assertiond) complaining and in some cases crashing after a few minutes!

I'm going to remove this switch panel (until Apple fixes it) and just let the button switch directly to the host (as most other apps do).

In the meanwhile: don't use this panel, instead switch apps manually (double-tap home, etc..) Please confirm that this helps, if anyone having this issue can test it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:18:19 PM by Jonatan Liljedahl »