Hello Guest

AUM with internal Mic on iPad Pro 12.9" 2017 model

• 2 Replies
AUM with internal Mic on iPad Pro 12.9" 2017 model
« on: March 05, 2018, 01:09:46 AM »
Hello, I absolutely LOVE AUM. This app is incredible!

This is my problem. I am using a Scarlett 6i6 audio interface. When I have my iPad plugged into my audio interface, I can not use the iPad Mic as a hardware input anymore that I know of.

When I obviously unplug the iPad from the Audio Interface, the Mic option reappears in the Hardware input selection.

What I am trying to do is use AUM to play my audio files on channels 1+2, which is what the audience hears, and I have my internal audio for my musicians that we run our click track through so the audience doesn't hear that.

I am trying to get the iPad Mic to send audio on channels 3+4 (Internal Audio) so I could talk to them but it wont go over to the audiences speakers. Basically this is a TalkBack Mic I am trying to setup. Is there anyway of doing this with AUM?

Again, every time I have tried doing this the Mic Hardware disappears once I plug in the audio interface.

Thanks guys,

Re: AUM with internal Mic on iPad Pro 12.9" 2017 model
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 07:38:21 PM »
Hey, the talkback mic is a great idea.  To do this you will have to use an external mic plugged into your 6i6.

The reason is that iOS has never allowed “aggregate audio input” meaning, as soon as you plug in the 6i6 it takes over all inputs/outputs on the iOS device.  The iPad mic is always disabled when an external audio interface is plugged in. 

Jonatan might have additional info, but I’m fairly certain this is not an AUM problem, but a limitation of iOS.

Re: AUM with internal Mic on iPad Pro 12.9" 2017 model
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 10:27:09 AM »
Hey, the talkback mic is a great idea.  To do this you will have to use an external mic plugged into your 6i6.

The reason is that iOS has never allowed “aggregate audio input” meaning, as soon as you plug in the 6i6 it takes over all inputs/outputs on the iOS device.  The iPad mic is always disabled when an external audio interface is plugged in. 

Jonatan might have additional info, but I’m fairly certain this is not an AUM problem, but a limitation of iOS.

That's correct. iOS always uses the "last plugged in" interface. There is a "multiroute" option that in theory could allow something like this to work, but it had a lot of other problems last time I experimented with it.