Hello Guest

Request/Idea: Ability to load multiple audio files on one channel

• 4 Replies

XiK

• View Profile
How about adding the ability to load multiple audio files onto one channel?

The purpose would be to play one clip right after another, sort of like a clip launcher, so that when a new clip was selected it would begin play in sync with the beat and the previous one would stop.

Could have it so you could scroll through the loaded clips, sort of like the way the effects slots are set up. Or maybe have smaller icons. Or both?

At any rate, this has probably been considered or suggested before, but just thought I'd throw it out there as an idea if not. Seems like it could done relatively easily, though you would know better than me, and could make for a nice addition.

Re: Request/Idea: Ability to load multiple audio files on one channel
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 03:39:46 PM »
That's probably not something I'd build into the existing FilePlayer node, but it's a great idea for a separate AUv3 plugin. If done by me, it could have direct access to all files within AUM and AudioShare.

XiK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 11:41:23 PM »
but it's a great idea for a separate AUv3 plugin

With an AUv3 file player you could open up multiple windows (well, in AUM at least), one for each channel, and easily play different files on a channel. I'd love to see it!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 11:42:56 PM by XiK »

XiK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 06:13:22 AM »
A few ideas for this hypothetical AUv3, to make it useful for other hosts besides AUM:

With the ability to open only one window open in other hosts, like Cubasis, you could maybe have different launch options like: Playback with touch only (lift finger, playback stops), playback sync by beats rather than bars (good for "slicing" files during playback), and follow commands (like in Ableton, where you can change the playback order with commands like "play next" or "play other" so that you could close the window and go to another track).

Just a few ideas, especially for other hosts.

Keeping it simple would work too.

XiK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 02:22:44 AM »
A few more ideas if this ever gets going:

-option to either loop playback or play the file just once as a one shot
-small icons for each file, in order to be able to fit more on screen
-option to give each file/icon a unique color, to help distinguish them and group them
-option to give each file/icon a unique icon using photo import, to help distinguish them and group them

For that last one, I had in mind a small circular icon, with an indicator going around the outside showing the playback.

Obviously there are a number of different things that could be done, just thinking out loud here.