Hello Guest

Which Looper works best with AUM?

• 12 Replies
Which Looper works best with AUM?
« on: May 05, 2018, 05:14:55 PM »
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend which of the many iOS Lopper apps work with AUM the best ?
I am thinking of a setup where each output goes to its own loop ( or from a bus) and if record is on then it’s records in the loop track else it plays the loop
MIDI controlled of course to start and stop the looper
I got attempted a klunky  setup with Loopy HD but had to pipe AUM output to Audiobus and then from there to Loopy but was not able to change and control tracks
I am sure there is a better Looper that works better with how AUM is designed and feeds directly into each looper track from each mix output ??
I was hunting for some videos also to see but can’t find anyone who has managed to setup a IOS only live looping setup with AUM

Any pointers are appreciated ...

Re: Which Looper works best with AUM?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 03:33:21 PM »
I have the same issue. Cannot find any audio looping app that can operate as an effect in AUM.  Waa...!

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 02:38:31 PM »
Can't find it either.. I wonder why! It would be perfect as an AU fx plugin. Come on fellow developers, go for it! :)

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 09:05:21 PM »
Can't find it either.. I wonder why! It would be perfect as an AU fx plugin. Come on fellow developers, go for it! :)

;-) how about AudioShare gets Looper Mode and  becomes a AUM Fox 😉😛😛
This can be simple but imagine the possibilities of AudioShare now !!! Cmon ,please !!

Josef

• View Profile
    • Josef Novotny
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 11:15:02 PM »
Hi THEPINKE,

I guess, you are looking for something completely different, but nevertheless I want to report what I found out when searching for live sampling tools.
One app I took into consideration is http://www.apesoft.it/idensity/, a granular sampler with multichannel (6) support in combination with Audiobus or Studiomux. But it has not been the right thing for me.
Then I discovered http://soundfruuze.com. This is exactly what I have been looking for. The AudioUnit version does currently not store and recall presets in AUM, but Alexey, the developer of soundfruuze promised to fix it in the next update, coming very soon.
But soundfruuze "records" the recent 10 seconds in two independent Ram buffers and not into files, and is definitely not this "live looping setup" you described.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:54:16 PM by Josef »

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 11:56:47 AM »

We had a similar discussion at AB forum (https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/24123/aum-quick-tip-loop-recording#latest).
Could it be possible to bring at the front (and playback ready) the recorded files of each AUM channel?
For example..when you stop recording in Ch1..the file becomes immediatly ready for playback. This way we won't need an AUv3 looper or any additional app.
Regards,

John

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 07:59:07 AM »
Both Group the Loop (GTL) and QuantiLoop work well with AUM as IAA,without AudioBus.

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 10:58:12 AM »

We had a similar discussion at AB forum (https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/24123/aum-quick-tip-loop-recording#latest).
Could it be possible to bring at the front (and playback ready) the recorded files of each AUM channel?
For example..when you stop recording in Ch1..the file becomes immediatly ready for playback. This way we won't need an AUv3 looper or any additional app.

That's an idea that I've had as well. However, I think even better would be an FX looper node that you'd put anywhere in the fx chain. It could be built-in or as a separate AUv3 plugin. If done by me, it would have automagic instant access to all AUM/AudioShare audio files, just like the FilePlayer.

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 10:55:24 AM »

That's an idea that I've had as well. However, I think even better would be an FX looper node that you'd put anywhere in the fx chain. It could be built-in or as a separate AUv3 plugin. If done by me, it would have automagic instant access to all AUM/AudioShare audio files, just like the FilePlayer.

"if done by me"....is it defecault to implement or too time consuming?
I bet most of AUM users would be very happy to pay for an IAP feature like this!
Unfortunately apps like Kosmonaut or ER-1 have some hickups or limitations in their Loop/Recording fuctions.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 02:48:46 PM by John Smith »
Regards,

John

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 01:24:20 PM »
It means I'd love to make such a plugin, but I don't know when/if I'll find the time to look into it :)

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 06:57:57 PM »
It means I'd love to make such a plugin, but I don't know when/if I'll find the time to look into it :)

Personally - i'd let some other developer make such a plugin ( or adapt their existing IAA app ) because I see so many future possibilities for AUM that would take up your limited time and give more benefits than a looper plugin.

See such a plugin looper might start up intended as very simple but before long - people ( such as me ) would be suggesting new features for it - and believe me if you look at the kind of power and complexity that loopers such as QuantiLoop and Group The Loop offer now - the looping need is pretty much covered.  Plus - as another discussion on audio's forum has already broached on - many looper users will just want to use their looper app "Standalone" - hence why QL added input options, hosting plugins and IAA apps eventually.  For reliability. I still would like to see a really close fit between QuantiLoop and AUM though - mainly because of the mixer functionality.

Having said that - maybe some simple looper functionality such as a 1-track Looper plugin with - say a limited feature set equivalent to the TC Electronic Ditto - with good MIDI control support - might be cool.

But once one goes down the route of adding MIDI mapping functionality - which is pretty important for anyone using  a live-looper - things start to get more and more complex - project bloat/scope creep etc :)

To get an idea - take a look at the kind of functionality the people have requested - and got - on QuantiLoop and GTL MIDI control-wise.   Adding the mapping back end code is one thing - but then the whole GUI for allowing mapping simply has to be coded - and needs to be done WELL.  And then one needs to save the MIDI maps...    the list goes on and on... 

So - maybe better to just wait until another developer does this - and then let him suffer scope-creep :)

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 10:54:18 PM »
Haha, yes I know all about scope-creep :) Indeed, *if* I'd do this it would be a really simple thing, like the built-in FilePlayer but also a recorder, that goes in the FX slots.

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 04:48:11 AM »
Haha, yes I know all about scope-creep :) Indeed, *if* I'd do this it would be a really simple thing, like the built-in FilePlayer but also a recorder, that goes in the FX slots.

this would be sweet...
iOS 12.1
iPad Pro ? 2018