Hello Guest

Anyone having issues with AUM crashing/resetting IPAD?

• 10 Replies
Anyone having issues with AUM crashing/resetting IPAD?
« on: June 03, 2018, 11:27:34 PM »
Hi

I've been using AUM for awhile and have come to rely on it as my primary keyboard performance app.   I'm a stickler for watching not only the DSP but also the IPAD CPU resources as I use it.  At no time do I ever go above 54% CPU usage.    I am running 2 buses in AUM with CMP Piano,  Korg Module,  Galileo Organ and a synth (either Kauldron or Zeeon).

I have noticed for the last month or so that the AUM will crash or freeze whenever I use the 4th synth (CPU resources are a non issue).   I used Kauldron reliably for months but then it started crashing my sessions literally every time I used it.  On the recommendation of JL  I switched over to Zeeon Synth - which has been far more stable than Kauldron.   However,  instead of AUM crashing out I now notice intermittent "full IPAD restart" occurring .    This happened twice in a gig I played today.  I came back for set 2 and the Ipad had crashed and restarted.  I had to reload AUM and all the synths.

Then the 3rd set we played the IPAD restarted in the MIDDLE of  a song.   Talk about a trainwreck!  I had to wait for it to power on,  unlock it and load the piano app and finish the set. 

It was bad.

I am now debating whether I can rely on AUM for performance.   It seems lightweight,  doesn't suck CPU resources and I am using an IPAD Mini 4 so plenty of processing power for the Synths.  Anyone else having issues ?   Think it's a new Apple update maybe?    I dunno.....it's disappointing.   JL has been cool to work with but he's mystified by it as well.   Wondering if any of you other performers can shed some light?   I tried clearing the IPad RAM etc.  but it didn't help.  The problem only occurs when I am running AUM,  if I just have the synths on and running in the background no crashes or resets.   Thanks.

Rig:

1) Studiologic SL 88 Studio
2) IPAD Mini4 running    CMP Piano, Korg Module,  Galileo Organ, Zeeon Synth

Thanks everyone!

Re: Anyone having issues with AUM crashing/resetting IPAD?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:16:16 PM »
Hi there,
I have only just purchased AUM this week as a necessity from buying the Rozeta midi suite and I must say I have been very impressed but.....
I also have been having frequent crashes, (screen goes black with spinning icon in middle for 5-10 secs then back to home screen and have to relaunch the app.
I  first suspected the AUFX: dub and space which I like to use on everything but no then I suspected Xynthesizr but no it’s just happened while using Borderlands.
Using Apps on there own has no issues. Over this weekend I must have been app bashing for a good  10 hrs and I think the pad has crashed 8 time ?
I used to get crashes with Audiobus 2 so I have just been thinking it’s one of those things.

Rig IPad Air 2  running IOS 11.4

John

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 02:23:55 PM »
Yeah, as you say I'm "mystified" by this issue. I have heard from a handful of users having this problem, but have never seen it myself.

Technically, it makes no sense that an app could reset/reboot the whole iPad, since the apps are sandboxed and highly isolated from each other and the system. This indicates that the issue is in iOS itself, something in iOS is crashing/restarting, even if triggered by AUM or some app hosted within it. So, the real fix must be done by Apple, but if I can find a way to avoid triggering the bug I would of course implement it. Unfortunately, since I've never seen this happen myself I have nothing to test and work with.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 05:34:12 AM »
Thanks Jon and other posters.    I have reduced the amount of apps I am running,  I noticed my crashes would happen very frequently when using AUM DUB with 4 synths loaded in AUM.   Not using DUB cut the crashes in half...but they still happened.  THen I installed System Status Lite and started looking at my CPU usage even though the "DSP" was never going above 60% in the app,  I did notice that with 4 synths running the CPU Usage was always above 50% and the "Average Load" numbers were 1.1 to 2.36 in the last 1 minute, 5 minute and 15 minute test...so that tells me that running AUM with all these apps definitely has an impact on this.   

I reduced the number of synths running down to 3.....and it's a lot more stable.   I run CMP Piano, Korg Module and Kauldron or Zeeon in the 3rd slot, and occasionally put AUFX DUB in there but rarely.   With this config I am still going into the 1.x and 2.x on the Average Load,  however the app is more stable.  If I go into Korg Module and change sounds while playing the other synths, that sometimes crashes it....and so I've been very ginger about that. 

I am thinking Jonatan is right that something maybe about the new iOS has made this more unstable or changed it.....I dunno. 

I'm also thinking maybe I need to get an IPAD Pro and see if this has less issues with this...but I don't see how my IPAD MINI 4 could be overtaxed by all this.   

Anyway - a bit frustrating, and feels like I am walking on eggshells a bit when playing.     Has me now looking at SampleTank for IOS as a single app alternative ,  or possibly just getting Reason or Kontakt on the PC and moving to it. 

Dunno  - I really like the IPAD performance though.

crony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 03:38:04 PM »
Hello,

I can tell you with an iPad Pro 12' from 2016 I've got the same issue...
I really hope IOS 12 will fix this...

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 08:45:28 PM »
Hello,

I can tell you with an iPad Pro 12' from 2016 I've got the same issue...
I really hope IOS 12 will fix this...

Hey CRONY are you french? Can you speak in Mp about Aum and iPad crashing issues ? It's drive me completely crazy this lil'wheel and restarttttt! Please Help me if you have any solution.
that my mail :
traverdeporc@gmail.com
my num: 0637654995

crony

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 02:20:11 AM »
Hi,

Yes, frenchy here :)
All I can tell you is to reduce midi transactions to the max, simplify, disconnect all unnecessary midi in/out within each of your app one by one.
I would recommend MidiFlow for instance to check live what midi messages goes in/out and see if midi is "bleeding" somewhere...
Might be also a midi controller ?

Bring some details here, everybody will participate, that's better learning :)

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 12:42:08 PM »
I use my iPad2 air for gigging for the past couple years using AUM with Sampletank, Galileo and iFretless bass which works great, I wanted to add just a little bit of reverb on iFretless bass so I purchased both the aux:space and aux:dub and added one at a time to the iFretless channel to test and when playing my piano, within a minute my iPad crashes with the spinning circle. I emailed tech support but no response. Is there another reverb app I can use? Thanks

crony

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 08:07:58 PM »
I also noticed some heavy Link crash !
I have 25 apps running (4 iPads) then Link crash , still 4 apps running...
True to restart router (apple AirPort Extreme) came back after reboot...

I set on hidden network, wpa2, only 5ghz

I’m gonna try hidden without security...

I also think the problem is from iOS.

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 07:36:50 AM »
HI Been using AUM stably for several months now, just started trying to control some apps ( Bram Bros Perferator, Aum Transport via note trigger, Isem..) with CC messages sent from Abelton and or CC sent from Rozeta. 

I can run my set with no problem within AUM but shortly after ( usually about 30 sec to 1 min ) I introduce any CC from Ableton, Aum either crashes or fully restarts my ipad. 

I can sync to most of my other apps flawlessly via Ableton CC, note and Link, the problem only appears within AUM.

Like the other users I don't think its a memory problem because I've tested on very stripped down sets.

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 03:56:04 PM »
The current beta of AUM has a fully rewritten internal MIDI system, which should be more stable when having multiple MIDI streams going on between different kinds of MIDI endpoints (CoreMIDI, AU plugins, etc). PM me your email and I can add you to my AUM testflight if you want to try it and confirm if it helps.