Hello Guest

Feature Request: Autoload Recordings

• 2 Replies
Feature Request: Autoload Recordings
« on: June 05, 2018, 03:50:33 PM »
Hi Jonatan,

I saw in another thread that you have been thinking about adding autoload of recordings. This is something that would be really useful for me, so I wanted to describe my use case in hopes of influencing if/how it gets implemented.

This is for playing guitar in a standard rock band setting. I'm the only guitar player, so it's nice to be able to record the verse part as it's being played, and then play it back either immediately or later as backing for the solo. The drummer plays to a click track to keep the timing constant. I'm currently using a simple looping pedal, but it's not easy to get the timing right, and the pedal dance can get kind of hectic if I want to add in a boost and effect for the solo.

What I would like is for the drummer to use an Ableton Link enabled metronome to keep time. Then I would like to use AUM to record and playback the verse/backing with all the transport quantized to measures in Link.

For the immediate playback case I would want to:
  • Press a button that would start recording on the next quantum
  • Press a button that would stop recording on the next quantum, load the recording for playback, and start playback immediately
  • Have AUM play the file once and stop (although quantized stop after a button press could also work)

For the playback later case I would want to:
  • Press a button that would start recording on the next quantum
  • Press a button that would stop recording on the next quantum and load the recording for playback (but not start playback)
  • Press a button that would start playback on the next quantum
  • Have AUM play the file once and stop (although quantized stop after a button press could also work)

AUM is a really great app already, this would be the icing on the cake

Thanks

Re: Feature Request: Autoload Recordings
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 02:29:08 PM »
I think the best way of solving this issue would be to find or make the perfect AU looping fx plugin. It would sit in an effect slot, allowing recording anything that goes through it and looping it. It's not easy to create a good looper, and probably not something I'm going to build into AUM. Perhaps ask Michael to make an AU fx version of his Loopy app? :)

PS. if you have a multichannel audio interface, you can route the metronome output to your drummers headphones.

Re: Feature Request: Autoload Recordings
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 06:07:41 PM »
I think the best way of solving this issue would be to find or make the perfect AU looping fx plugin.

The trouble with looping apps/plug-ins is that they’re so, you know, loop oriented, which makes them kind of fiddly for single shot playback. But maybe a simple AU record/playback plugin would do the trick.