Hello Guest

Simplified MIDI routing? Let me know what you think!

• 8 Replies
Simplified MIDI routing? Let me know what you think!
« on: June 13, 2018, 02:05:28 PM »
I'm thinking about some ways to make MIDI routing simpler and more intuitive in AUM.

I have a question for all AUM users: how often do you route different MIDI sources to different destination nodes living in the same channel strip? Would it be too limiting if you instead of routing MIDI to each node, routed it to the whole channel strip at once? Each node in that channel would then receive anything routed to the channel.

So, this change would merge the individual MIDI destinations of nodes into one MIDI destination per channel strip. This would also be used for MIDI control of parameters, which would get rid of the non-intuitive split between AUs having both their own MIDI destination as well as being controllable from the global "AUM Control" destination.

There would still be a global "AUM Control" destination for MIDI control of the transport, etc.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:56:38 PM by Jonatan Liljedahl »

Re: Simplified MIDI routing? Let me know what you think!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 03:25:02 PM »
See attached diagram.

Josef

• View Profile
    • Josef Novotny
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 08:42:56 PM »
Hi Jonatan,

yes, I would appreciate this simplified routing. For my setup this would be just perfect.
Josef

crony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 04:19:05 PM »
That would be "catastrophic" with my setup as I have multiple midi controllers going thru a "Master" iPad, then dispatch to my other iPads.
But locally (on each iPad) I'm running also a Modstep that sends midi (sometimes from the same midi channel from the Master iPad) so I really choose carefully what goes where...

IM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 02:24:51 PM »
awesome, can't wait for the update.

crony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 05:31:16 PM »
Well, as long as I can make such dispatch with the update I'm cool, if not...I'm gonna cry hard...Because all is quite stable now...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 02:50:27 AM by crony »

Josef

• View Profile
    • Josef Novotny
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 10:06:07 PM »
Hi Crony,

wow, you are really using a lot of hard and software. I understand, that you urgently need a more extended midi routing as it is currently in AUM.
For me a simplified routing would be sufficient at the moment BUT I don’t mind if there are more options, of course. Might well be, that I am happy about that in the future. My setup is also expanding.
So, if this is important for you and possibly for other users, I will support this tendency.

crony

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 01:45:46 AM »
Wow, glad to read that :)

I'm trying to keep it simple, really, but if we add some devices, we inevitably are going to need more specific midi assignations...
Maybe a simplified version is possible, and would not impact too much, but I fear multiple useless midi datas blocked by the receiver synths, instead or not sending useless datas to these...
I already had so many unexplained crash from synths, hosts, and sequencers for no apparent reasons except that midi was "bleeding" too much...
I admit that it's also more difficult to understand your app, but really it's already became so simple with it...
I'm also almost sure that simplification would result as multiple "unexplained" crash with AUM...

Thanks a lot for keeping AUM a rock solid solution :)

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 10:55:37 AM »
I've put this idea of simplified midi routing on hold.. So, the current fine-grained source->destination connections will stay for now! I might revisit this later on.