Hello Guest

Importing and slicing whole songs?

• 5 Replies
Importing and slicing whole songs?
« on: May 05, 2014, 10:43:28 PM »
Is this possible? What's the maximum length for the samples to be imported? And can I import songs directly out of my itunes music library?

Thank you!

Re: Importing and slicing whole songs?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 11:48:28 AM »
Currently the limit is 3 minutes, but I might change that in the future if I find a good way to check available RAM.
SECTOR can import from AudioShare, which can import from itunes music library.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 12:40:25 PM »
Thank you for the reply! I am wondering if Sector can remix a song stochastically, ie. endlessly. I haven't bought it yet, and am not sure of its possibilities. Like would I need to cut the song so it consists of even numbered (2^x) pieces so Sector can slice easier and I can identify and use choruses and bridges etc.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 01:02:22 PM »
Yes, you would need to cut the song so that it can be divided into a whole number of equal slices. (Anything between 2 and 32)

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:51:25 AM »
"Anything between 2 and 32"? Even odd numbers? And does Sector detect the bars by itself? Maybe there's an online manual so I should have looked it up myself *hint* ;-)

I could import and trim songs with Hokusai Audio Editor btw.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 12:00:15 PM »
That's correct, you can set the number of sectors (slices) the soundfile should be divided in, as anything between 2 and 32 including odd numbers. You also set the number of beats in the sample to calculate the correct tempo, or include "nnn bpm" in the filename and it will figure out the number of beats automatically based on the file length.

There's a manual here, which is also bundled with the app: http://kymatica.com/sector/manual/