Hello Guest

New to this!

• 5 Replies
New to this!
« on: August 09, 2014, 11:05:12 PM »
Hi! Just a question for you. I am currently running my ipad through Itrack, using garage band. After some research, I downloaded Audiobus, and Aufx:peakQ to do some mastering on some of my recordings.

I want to take a project and master, so I am going through the audiobus and connecting both programs. One issue..see the Aufx is using the ipad mic. Now..what am I doing wrong?  Looked for a manual to see, but can't find anything..help!

Thanks

Donnie

Re: New to this!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 12:16:39 PM »
Hi,

As far as I remember, Garageband doesn't have any Audiobus output port, only input port, so I don't see how you could connect them together in the right direction. What you would need is this:

Garageband -> AUFX:PeakQ

And then record the result in PeakQ, or attach another recorder app, for example:

Garageband -> AUFX:PeakQ -> AudioShare

But as far as I know, this is not possible due to the limitations of Garageband.

However, you could probably export the project as a soundfile from Garageband and put it into AudioShare, where you can run it through AUFX:PeakQ using Inter-App-Audio (iOS7 required) in AudioShare's Recorder screen.

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 12:29:49 PM »
UPDATE: Yes, I just tried and indeed Garageband doesn't support this with Audiobus, however it works fine to export the song from Garageband as lossless AIFF into AudioShare and then run it through AUFX:PeakQ (or any other combination of IAA apps).

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 04:40:51 PM »
Thank you! Now, the $5,000,000 question is...How do I do that? Im sorry..very new to this process...excited to learn! Just finding it hard to find resources to explain..Thank you so much!

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 04:42:39 PM »
Also..is there a better recording app that you would suggest? I am looking to do some basic guitar/Mic recordings..at this point, nothing too complicated..

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 02:19:03 PM »
MASTERING A SONG FROM GARAGEBAND THROUGH AUDIOSHARE AND AUFX:PEAKQ

Exporting a file from Garageband to AudioShare
  • In the "My songs" view, long-press the song you want to export.
  • Tap the share/action icon at the top left corner (square with arrow)
  • Choose "Open in"
  • For best results, choose Uncompressed (AIFF)
  • Tap the Share button at the top right corner to continue
  • Wait for export to finish, and choose "Open in AudioShare"
  • The song will be imported and opened in AudioShare

Running the song through an IAA effect like AUFX:PeakQ
  • Tap the song in AudioShare to open it in the main player
  • Tap the record button (microphone icon) to open the Recorder
  • Tap the + button in the top IAA slot above the volume slider and choose File Player
  • Tap the + button in the second IAA slot and choose AUFX:PeakQ
  • You can now press play and hear the song processed through AUFX:PeakQ
  • While playing, switch to AUFX:PeakQ by tapping its icon to make any adjustments
  • When happy, switch back to AudioShare and tap the blue process-button
  • Enter a suitable padding duration, like 1 second or so, and tap Process
  • It will now render the whole file through AUFX:PeakQ and open the resulting soundfile

For best results, make sure OUTPUT LIMITER is ON in AUFX:PeakQ. You can then use the MAIN LEVEL for additional volume boost without introducing any clipping or distortion.

Regarding recording app, if you don't need multitrack recording I would recommend my own app AudioShare. You can record with IAA effects (such as the AUFX series), and it will keep your recordings centralized for easy export/import and sharing.