Hello Guest

Audio Input Selection

• 4 Replies
Audio Input Selection
« on: August 07, 2015, 07:39:09 AM »
First, I must say I like the AUFX suite very much. I tried one, and got the rest when I saw the quality of the sound adjustments.
Thank you!
I am still trying to suit it to my specific purpose, which is basically as a microphone voice pre-processor.
Using iPhone4S version 8.1.3. Also using Bose QC20 earbuds with a great quality inline microphone.
This works fine. When I plug in the earbuds, IOS switches automagically to use the external mic.
AUFX uses the external mic routed by IOS as input. All is well.
But for my purpose I want to separate out the mic and headphones channels.
Or, I may decide I need to use a completely different microphone than either the internal or the earbud/inline.
I got a split-out cable with F 3.5mm 4 Pin to M 2x3 Pin 3.5mm, for my head set w/mic.
I have another split-out cable with M 3.5mm 4 Pin to F 2x3 Pin 3.5mm for the iPhone.
This arrangement also works fine.
I am able to feed the headphones from a mixer, and feed the external microphone, to the iPhone.
But then IOS does not detect the input connection as a dual route device,
and uses only the internal iPhone mic for some apps (AUFX), or both mics for other apps, like the phone, which is quite annoying.
I have read that since iOS7, this functional setting (routing) can be selected by Apps,
specifically "The extended API is in the AVAudioSession class", "AVAudioSession - setPreferredInput"
Since all AUFX Apps have an input selector which can toggle L-R or Both (which has no affect on a mic input),
would it be possible to add the ability to select internal/external mic inputs ?
Selecting Both would not be advantageous to me, but perhaps to others it might be.
The other consideration for using this excellent tool suite would be as a FX processor from a typical mixer (ie Behringer).
This also would require such routing control.
The mixer's mono FX send into the IPhone to show up as an external audio input, then the output fed into an AUX input on the mixer, would add AUFX effects into the entire mix.
Having this ability to select internal/external mic input would certainly make your apps suite a solid tool in my studio.
I hope this is a suggestion you can consider.
I will eventually move this voice processing function to the iPad, but that's currently running IOS6.
This tool may be what moves me to upgrade the iPad, if we can work out this audio input routing issue. :)
Thank you for your great product.

Re: Audio Input Selection
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 12:49:48 PM »
Hi, thanks for the feedback!
I think it might be impossible due to iOS restrictions: If I recall correctly, it automatically switches also the output device if another preferred input device is selected. I will investigate..

Cheers
/Jonatan

First, I must say I like the AUFX suite very much. I tried one, and got the rest when I saw the quality of the sound adjustments.
Thank you!
I am still trying to suit it to my specific purpose, which is basically as a microphone voice pre-processor.
Using iPhone4S version 8.1.3. Also using Bose QC20 earbuds with a great quality inline microphone.
This works fine. When I plug in the earbuds, IOS switches automagically to use the external mic.
AUFX uses the external mic routed by IOS as input. All is well.
But for my purpose I want to separate out the mic and headphones channels.
Or, I may decide I need to use a completely different microphone than either the internal or the earbud/inline.
I got a split-out cable with F 3.5mm 4 Pin to M 2x3 Pin 3.5mm, for my head set w/mic.
I have another split-out cable with M 3.5mm 4 Pin to F 2x3 Pin 3.5mm for the iPhone.
This arrangement also works fine.
I am able to feed the headphones from a mixer, and feed the external microphone, to the iPhone.
But then IOS does not detect the input connection as a dual route device,
and uses only the internal iPhone mic for some apps (AUFX), or both mics for other apps, like the phone, which is quite annoying.
I have read that since iOS7, this functional setting (routing) can be selected by Apps,
specifically "The extended API is in the AVAudioSession class", "AVAudioSession - setPreferredInput"
Since all AUFX Apps have an input selector which can toggle L-R or Both (which has no affect on a mic input),
would it be possible to add the ability to select internal/external mic inputs ?
Selecting Both would not be advantageous to me, but perhaps to others it might be.
The other consideration for using this excellent tool suite would be as a FX processor from a typical mixer (ie Behringer).
This also would require such routing control.
The mixer's mono FX send into the IPhone to show up as an external audio input, then the output fed into an AUX input on the mixer, would add AUFX effects into the entire mix.
Having this ability to select internal/external mic input would certainly make your apps suite a solid tool in my studio.
I hope this is a suggestion you can consider.
I will eventually move this voice processing function to the iPad, but that's currently running IOS6.
This tool may be what moves me to upgrade the iPad, if we can work out this audio input routing issue. :)
Thank you for your great product.

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 01:55:33 AM »
Well, I *may* have discovered a $10 hardware solution ... A device called Wiretap Headphone/Microphone Splitter. It apparently 'fools' the iPhone and spits the channels.  Arrives later this week. I will inform you how this works out.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 04:11:44 AM »
So, the Wiretap Headphone/Microphone Splitter did not work as expected. Not sure why. A simpler solution did work, however. A simple 4 conductor extension cable. It has a M 3.5mm 4 Pin to  F 3.5mm 4 Pin connectors. It's like a 1 meter headphone extension cable, with 4 conductors on each end rather than 3. The extension cable plugged into the iPhone, first with the headphones w/ inline mic attached. This caused the iPhone to detect the external mic, and not use the internal mic. Then unplugging the headphones from the extension cable and replacing it with the original splitter does not cause the iPhone to reconfigure the routing. With this configuration, I can separately route the iPhone mic and head phone signals. I also tried it with the mixer FX and was able to apply all AUFX processing to the entire mix. Problem solved !

iPhone <-- Male 4 Pin-Ext-Cable Female <-- Male 4 Pin Headphones
Then unplug headphones w/ mic
Then replace with Male 3.5mm 4 Pin to F 2x3 Pin 3.5mm splitter
                                                                                                                                              Mixer Headphone Out --> M 2x3 Pin 3.5mm to F 3.5mm 4 Pin <-- Headphones (Listen)
iPhone <-- Male 4 Pin-Ext-Cable Female <--  Male 3.5mm 4 Pin to F 2x3 Pin 3.5mm Female Mic Input <---> M 2x3 Pin 3.5mm to F 3.5mm 4 Pin <-- Headphones (Mic)
                                                                                                                                  Female Headphone Output <---> Male 3Pin to Tip/Ring (L/R) To Mixer Input

I now have a rack of sound processing on a singe device :) This pleases me.
This works just fine. Now onward to upgrade IOS on the iPad and replicate this over there.
Thanks for your consideration of the routing issue.

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 04:52:50 AM »
I do wish there was a Pitch adjustment, though. For this I will use Voice Synth App.