Hello Guest

AudioShare ITunes File Sharing Storage

• 5 Replies
AudioShare ITunes File Sharing Storage
« on: November 19, 2015, 09:46:56 AM »
After files are imported through iTunes file storage where are they stored?

I have an Air 2 64GB running iOS 8.4. I love AudioShare and want to use it as my "sample hub", i.e. the place where my samples can be exported to other apps, where samples can be saved to etc. The tremendous features like auditioning every file, trimming, file conversions and IAA processing make it a powerful companion for samples.

So...I used ITunes File Sharing and imported 800+MB of drum samples in zipped folders, and AudioShare handled it all no problem. I unzipped the folders and moved them to another Drum Samples main folder, leaving the iTunes file sharing folder empty. I tested it with DrumPerfect, Auria, etc and the samples could be routed beautifully and they auditioned smoothly too (a big deal for me since some apps dont let you easily audition a sample before choosing it, like Praxis Beats and others).

My problem is when I checked in settings how much data was now in AudioShare it showed under 10MB like it did before the transfer. I am curious where the samples are stored or if this is a bug. I like being able to see how big an app is and  apps like Auria and Final Touch are still showing how much data/"documents" they have...

Thanks for the help and I apologize for the long explanation, just wanted to let you know the process I took.

Re: AudioShare ITunes File Sharing Storage
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 10:06:47 AM »
Hi,

My problem is when I checked in settings how much data was now in AudioShare it showed under 10MB like it did before the transfer. I am curious where the samples are stored or if this is a bug. I like being able to see how big an app is and  apps like Auria and Final Touch are still showing how much data/"documents" they have...

I can understand that this seems a bit mysterious! The files are stored in a "shared app group container", that can be shared among several of my own apps. (So far, only AudioShare uses it, but my new mixer app that I'm working on will also use it).
This means that the files are not actually owned by AudioShare, and I guess that's why the storage usage isn't counted on AudioShare in the Settings app list.

Unfortunately iOS doesn't have a way to list and manage those shared containers. They are invisible to the user. But at least they are backed up to iTunes, according to my tests.

However, you can check inside AudioShare itself how much storage space it's using. Tap the info (i) button at the top left of the Library.

Cheers
/Jonatan

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
Jonatan thank you so much for the quick reply and for solving that mystery, lol. It seems being a dev for iOS takes some patience with Apple's policies the way they are, sure am glad you and others who make such incredible apps work within the parameters and produce such magic.

And that is no hyperbole describing AudioShare, it is totally a magic app. It is so useful and well designed, indispensable at this point to me and many other iOS music makers.

Look forward to your next app Jonatan, thanks again and be cool...

« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 07:54:46 PM by JRSIV »

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 08:22:53 PM »
Thank you for the kind words! :)

Cheers
/Jonatan

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 11:48:03 AM »
AudioShare is the bees-knees!
Hi, wondering if you had any non-cloud-xfer info re file-sharing.

Running Windows 7 with an iPhone 4S-for 'sampler' :)
I wanted to use (HFS formatted) SD cards with my CameraConnectionKit, using mountpoints (junctions/symbolic links) to essentially extend the 4S storage, AND make audio-asset retrieval easier... post iOS7, so no go.

Plan B is this filesharing thang. I know there's obviously dropbox et al, but I want to share samples without using wi-fi (eliminate potential interference etc in my DAW).

I've used iMazing, which lives up to it's name, BUT seems to work on a 'backup, then inspect mounted volume' premise (real-time sample retrieval n/a).

My question is - is there a way to get samples off the iPhone, via USB, without iTunes?

(I'm hoping that the awesome MediaMonkey can be integrated into the even more awesome REAPER, re this use-case... however, I think MediaMonkey will struggle to even see the music library on iOS9)

Not sure if this is the best place/method to discuss this here, but I'll come back with(&for:) any updates

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 09:27:06 PM »
AudioShare is the bees-knees!
Hi, wondering if you had any non-cloud-xfer info re file-sharing.

Running Windows 7 with an iPhone 4S-for 'sampler' :)
I wanted to use (HFS formatted) SD cards with my CameraConnectionKit, using mountpoints (junctions/symbolic links) to essentially extend the 4S storage, AND make audio-asset retrieval easier... post iOS7, so no go.

Plan B is this filesharing thang. I know there's obviously dropbox et al, but I want to share samples without using wi-fi (eliminate potential interference etc in my DAW).

I've used iMazing, which lives up to it's name, BUT seems to work on a 'backup, then inspect mounted volume' premise (real-time sample retrieval n/a).

My question is - is there a way to get samples off the iPhone, via USB, without iTunes?

(I'm hoping that the awesome MediaMonkey can be integrated into the even more awesome REAPER, re this use-case... however, I think MediaMonkey will struggle to even see the music library on iOS9)

Not sure if this is the best place/method to discuss this here, but I'll come back with(&for:) any updates
You could use an app like iFunbox to access the iTunes sharing folder in AudioShare which would mean copying files  from the main section of AudioShare into the AudioShare iTunes folder and then in iFunbox on Windows 7 to folders on Windows. I'm not so sure if there are iFunbox type programs for Windows 7 or not. It might be easiest to transfer samples over with wi-fi before you start you a DAW session and turn it off again before starting up the DAW.

Alternatively there are some wi-fi flash drive type solutions where the drive has its own wi-fi. You could move to another room to transfer files between the iPhone and the wi-fi flash drive in another room so you don't get interference from the wi-fi used during the transfer process and then physically connect the wi-fi drive with its wi-fi turned off to your computer for transfering samples to the computer.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 09:28:51 PM by Paulinko »