Hello Guest

Question Regarding Latency (new user)

• 3 Replies

RFJ

• View Profile
Question Regarding Latency (new user)
« on: September 26, 2018, 04:05:27 AM »
Hey guys...
After making music for decades I have finally had my eyes open to IOS capabilities with music making. So I dusted off my old iPad Air v1 and grabbed AUM, Zeeon, iSem, and elastic drums. I’m using Step Poly Arp for sequencing and noticing latency on my iSem channel. I realize Zeeon and Elastic Drums are cpu heavy. I’m keeping my jams really small due to the age of my iPad.

I’m curious to know if there is anything I can do about the latency I’m getting now or if I just need to get a new iPad Pro to solve the issue. Is there any difference in the midi capabilities between older iPad and newer. Obviously I realize more ram with the newer machines will provide more DSP but will additional DSP do anything as far as latency goes?

Thanks guys!

Edit: I do have the buffer set to max due to the limited resources in my current iPad. Current project 1 instance Zeeon, 1 instance iSem, ED, 2 instances Step Poly Arp au3.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:00:21 AM by RFJ »

RFJ

• View Profile
Re: Question Regarding Latency (new user)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 06:27:27 AM »
Just a bump, looking for feedback here.

Thanks everyone!

RFJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 07:23:04 AM »
Anyone?

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 02:01:06 PM »
Audio latency should not affect synths driven by sequencer apps on the same iPad, since MIDI messages are timestamped. The current AUM beta version has improved timing precision for MIDI between AU's and IAA nodes, but it depends on the apps actually making use of the timing information. However, when timestamps are not used, this should lead to jitter (varying latency) and not a steady delay of the signal. Jitter would actually decrease when you make the buffer size smaller.

How are you connecting the MIDI source (Step Poly Arp) and destination? AU or IAA or CoreMIDI?